Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2011, 04:31 AM  

Redwood, CA
How to apply for a home improvement loan to improve living situation?

I have a home. Now I want to get a home improvement loan to improve my living situation and to qualify for home owners insurance. What can I do? Please give me necessary information.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:05 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
There are quite a few things to take into consideration before getting a loan. Whatever title they toss onto it, the bottom line is its a loan and someone is going to make some $$$ off of it.

Usually home improvement loans are secured by a collateral (your house). How much you owe on the house, its value, your payment history etc will all come into play as to how much you can borrow (its normally based on equity - they wont let you borrow more than its worth) and a huge thing is the interest rate that you will be paying back as you pay the loan back.

Start by shopping a couple of banks to see if they have competitive rates, and to see if you have enough equity in your house to make taking out a loan worth your while.

Remember - Weak collateral or low/no equity will = higher interest rates.

Look for a 'secured' loan if you can. These are usually the ones that require a decent collateral and thus have a lower interest rate. I would also avoid variable interest rates if you can as well. Different states have laws on interest rate caps, unfortunately where I live I dont think they have a ceiling for them.

Good luck!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!