Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2012, 01:31 PM  

I boxed the counter with a 1" x 2" beveled strip of oak, allowing the granite tiles to be inset perfectly flat.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Stone and wood look great together. A few people I know have done something similar and it looks absolutely great.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:07 PM  

Sounds great. I am considering Formica 180fx Antique Mascarello but don't know whether to chance their IdealEdge or do a wood edge (maybe beveled oak or a rope molding). I have about 52 sq ft of counter top to redo.

I am not going to have the diagonal seams at the corners. I will build the under layment of MDF with cleated butt joints and apply the Formica with seams in inconspicuous areas.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:50 AM  
Traveler

You can work with the granite if you want to. But if you really want to have a perfect kitchen that you ever wanted, you can ask help to the experts. I did that too, so I recommending you this because I have no regrets when I built my kitchen.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:23 AM  

A friend of mine (the author of "When All Plans Fail", a survival book not a remodeling book) used experts but they were just going to cut the drywall to let in the granite where the wall wasn't straight. Another friend , a high end carpenter (one of the Ranneklev Brothers of NY), said the granite should have been scribed and cut to fit the wall. He said the drywall would be unsupported where the granite was to be let in. The solution was that he added wood to support the cut drywall edges so they couldn't bow. I don't know who was right or wrong so don't shoot the messenger.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:21 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I'd go with the real carpenter.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:12 PM  
American

"The EPA recommends homeowners test their granite counter-tops for radon using low-cost do-it-yourself kits that can be purchased at a local hardware store."

I don't know what to think about this but thought I would pass along something I have heard about granite you can decide for yourself.

http://webcenters.netscape.compuserv...ranitecounters
Old 09-27-2012, 07:02 AM  

Radon is found within the earth all over the world, so I would guess it wouldn't hurt to check any natural stone products you introduce into your home.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!