Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2011, 02:38 PM  

I love bats!

Old 06-21-2011, 05:45 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I like bats too. They are cool to watch and do keep mosquitos down.

Our cats are really getting on my nerves because I keep catching them with bat's in their jaws.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:53 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
North America had to replace Europe's grape vines so I'm hoping they're as helpful replacing our bats.
Mosquito Repellent-bats2_h.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-chme-profile.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-microtis2.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-qd_fs.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-serotine2.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-koreanchiroptera-greater_horseshoe_bat_j03-maternity_colony_in_cave.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-tent_bats_san_pedrillo_04.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-national-geographic19.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-cimg1007.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-bat_3.jpg 

Old 06-21-2011, 06:07 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Bracken Cave

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I love bats!
If I recall correctly there are millions in a cave near San Antonio and people go to watch them emerge & later return.

Quote:
Bracken Bat Cave is the summer home of the world's largest bat colony. With as many as 20 million Mexican free-tailed bats living in the cave from March thru October, Bracken holds one of the largest concentration of mammals on earth.

The emergence of these millions of bats, as they spiral out of the cave at dusk for their nightly insect hunt, is an unforgettable sight.

The cave and 697 acres of the surrounding Texas Hill Country is owned and protected by Bat Conservation International. The cave is on the suburban fringe of San Antonio, in an area of rapid population growth. If not for the generous donations of BCI's members and friends, the cave and its remarkable bats likely would have been engulfed by subdivisions.

In addition to conserving the cave bats, BCI stewards the entire property, protecting endangered birds and rehabilitating the land by removing invasive vegetation and reviving native plants.

Members of Bat Conservation International may visit the cave and witness the bats' emergence on designated Member Nights. To protect the Bracken bat colony and its natural setting, the cave is not open to the general public. If you would like to visit the cave, read the Visiting Bracken Cave FAQ's.
Bracken Bat Cave

HTML Code:
http://www.batcon.org/index.php/get-involved/visit-a-bat-location/bracken-bat-cave/subcategory.html?layout=subcategory
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I love bats!
If I recall correctly there are millions in a cave near San Antonio and people go to watch them emerge & later return.

Bracken Cave
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HTML Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracken_Cave
Quote:
Bracken Cave is the largest known habitat for Mexican Free-tailed Bats. It is located in southern Comal County, Texas, outside the city of San Antonio. Bracken Cave houses a colony of over 20 million bats, making it the largest known concentration of mammals, except for humans. Access to the cave is restricted to protect the habitat of the resident bats.
The cave is owned by Bat Conservation International, which restores the land around the cave to support an abundant variety of wildlife.
Quote:
The emergence of these millions of bats, as they spiral out of the cave at dusk for their nightly insect hunt, is an unforgettable sight.

The cave and 697 acres of the surrounding Texas Hill Country is owned and protected by Bat Conservation International. The cave is on the suburban fringe of San Antonio, in an area of rapid population growth. If not for the generous donations of BCI's members and friends, the cave and its remarkable bats likely would have been engulfed by subdivisions.
In addition to conserving the cave bats, BCI stewards the entire property, protecting endangered birds and rehabilitating the land by removing invasive vegetation and reviving native plants.

Members of Bat Conservation International may visit the cave and witness the bats' emergence on designated Member Nights. To protect the Bracken bat colony and its natural setting, the cave is not open to the general public.
Just realized the two maps are a Canadian Bracken Cave.
Mosquito Repellent-bracken_cave_bats.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-bracken_cave_bats_dark.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-download.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-bats.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-cpc-j4-4-bracken-cave-langstrothdale-1-.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-cpc-j4-5-bracken-cave-extension.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-bat_tower.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-sunset2.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-6a0.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-ws1.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!