Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2010, 10:47 AM  

Dallas, Texas
Pesticides

What do you use for a pesticide? Just moved into our first home which was a foreclosure and has been sitting and need to treat the outside with something to kill off all the critters.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:11 AM  

This would depend on what type of critters you have. I use Ortho Home Defense, in the gallon bottle, which is safe for interior and exterior, and doesn't smell too bad. Spraying the perimeter, inside and out, once a month will stop 98% of the little buggers that tend to bug us. It also does not stain carpets and is safe for pets once it dries.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:24 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Diatomaceous earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is what we use and around the garden an organic mixture of basil, pepper, raw tobacco and other additives.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 PM  

san marcos, texas
Diatomaceous earth is wonderful stuff.
It's food grade safe so it is safe around pets and children (in fact u can dust your dog or cat with it to kill fleas)
It'll kill a wide variety of pests (not spiders, but they beneficial for killing bugs themselves) and unlike pesticides it will actually nourish your soil, instead of poisoning it.

It's cheaper than pesticide too.
It's made of fossil shells from tiny diatoms from millions of years ago. The powder sticks to the exoskeleton of the insect and eats away at it. (doesn't work for caterpillars)

I was amazed to find out how wonderful this stuff is and shocked to think how popular pesticides are compared to this safer, all natural alternative.

Give it a try, you can find it at lowes or home depot but you have to look really hard, it's hidden among the hundred of bottles of overpriced, chemical pesticides.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:44 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
The powder sticks to the exoskeleton of the insect and eats away at it. (doesn't work for caterpillars)
I saw diatoms mentioned as a bug killer and wondered, how? Thanks for the answer. I used diatomaceous earth to clean aquariums for years. You could turn 50 gallons of muddy water crystal clear in 69 seconds.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:07 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
We go with diatomaceous earth as well. It really works well.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:14 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
We go with diatomaceous earth as well. It really works well.
I've had issues with it killing sugar ants. They seem to not be phased by the stuff.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!