Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2010, 10:23 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Ultra Violet Lights to Kill Bacteria

Anyone have any experience with lights to kill bacteria in their drinking water?

Well on a property we are looking at comes back with E. Coli even after being shocked multiple times.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:11 AM  

Genoa, Illinois
I think it would be necessary to dig a deeper well or one further away from the septic tank.

I work in a laboratory and we do use ultraviolet lights to kill bacteria on surfaces but I don't know about using UV to kill bacteria in drinking water.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:51 AM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
My father is a waste water treatment engineer, we've discussed the use of ultr-violet before but as usual I retained nothing

I will submit an inquiry to him, it might take a few days before I hear back.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:13 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
or maybe in a few hours..

Quote:
I?ve designed many municipal systems using submerged UV lamps ? they are typically encased in a quartz tube rather than glass because of UV transmissibility

Drinking Water - TrojanUV

They are very efficient in drinking water but have the drawback that they don?t leave a measurable residual.

I?ve heard of UV disinfection systems for hot tubs and pools, but have no direct experience

.2 mg/l chlorine residual will kill all e.coli and other pathogens so recurrence after ?shock?, presumably with sodium hypochlorite, may be an indicator of bad contamination = irredeemable

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.