Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2011, 12:40 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Weed Eaters

Any suggestions on weed eaters?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Any suggestions on weed eaters?
Whatever you do, don't buy a cheapo such as "homelite".
I used to buy the cheap ones and they are horrible.

I ended up (finally) spending a little extra (somewhere around $160-$200), and getting I think it is a Ryobi. Anyway, it has worked great for years now and starts super easy compared to the cheap ones I had.

I am referring to the gas ones. I would much rather have gas than electric. Alot more cutting power. I often use mine to clear light brush with the thickest line I can fit in it.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:55 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I'm still debating the gas vs electric issue.

Does your Ryobi have a brush cutting attachment? I've seen some pretty crazy things for those.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:20 AM  

Greenville, SC
I know there are many attachments available for it. The attachments available that I know of is an edger, brush cutter, and leaf blower. I don't have any of the extra attachments. As far as the gas vs. electric, I guess it just depends on your yard.
I lived in a subdivision for a while and had an electric one that I had to use an extension cord. It took 2 extra long cords to reach the farthest corner of my fenceline.
I sort of live in the woods now, and my yard is bigger and my driveway is way too long to use one with a cord, and I highly doubt that a battery powered one would have enough juice or power to do what I need it to do. I really like the one I have. It is REALLY easy to start as far as gas weed eaters go.
With the heavy string, it takes out tiny pine trees (about 1/4" thick) pretty easy. I get alot of those popping up. I doubt any electric one would do that very easily.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
You convinced me, I'm going with gas.

Do you use specialty cord, or just the normal stuff?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:48 AM  

Greenville, SC
Honestly, all I can tell you about it is that is has sort of a squarish profile and it is the thickest line I can feed into it. Oh, and it is sort of a flourescent orange color.
The thicker stuff lasts longer (harder to break the line), and can cut thicker stuff. I imagine that the profile directly impacts how well it cuts.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:17 AM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

I usually go for Brownies or cookies. But the mystery balls can be good too...

Oh ****.... Wrong topic...

Ummm.... My Stihl is nice....... But I have a TON of fence to whip around so electric is out of the question.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:46 PM  
Supporting Member

Krum, Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by M22KLARS View Post
Ummm.... My Stihl is nice....... But I have a TON of fence to whip around so electric is out of the question.
I spray killer along the fence lines..4.3 acres..
Weed Eaters-03.jpg 

Old 03-23-2011, 02:18 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Honestly, all I can tell you about it is that is has sort of a squarish profile and it is the thickest line I can feed into it. Oh, and it is sort of a flourescent orange color.
The thicker stuff lasts longer (harder to break the line), and can cut thicker stuff. I imagine that the profile directly impacts how well it cuts.
I'll see what there is, my Pop uses something that is braided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M22KLARS View Post
I usually go for Brownies or cookies. But the mystery balls can be good too...

Oh ****.... Wrong topic...

How much fence do you have? I'm going to have to weed eat a bit of brush.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:56 PM  

Shuswap, BC
My old Husqavarna weed eater has been abused and still runs great.
I bought it about 14 or 15 years ago, when and if it dies, I am getting another one its been so good.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!