Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2010, 01:13 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaltim View Post
those couple of people talking about getting into the hobby for $40 and using 1 gallon fermenters.. honestly, it's close the same amount of work to just do a standard 5 gal. batch.

spend the $100 at defalcos, get a 5 gal starter kit. that kit comes with your first two extract batches.

Yeah, it may be the same amount of work, but you also have to buy a propane tank, a regulator, a burner and a turkey fryer or keg-shell. . .so it's not anywhere near the same amount of MONEY.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:15 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxhuskie9 View Post
only been brewing for about 6 months but have started losing confidence as nothing has really turned out the way i wanted it to. I've done 5 batches now, and just about all of them have tasted way too yeasty and not matter how consistent I try to stay with my priming/carbonating stage, the beer either turns out nearly flat, or waaaayyy too carbonated!

I'll try again soon, but any advice would help...what are ya'll doing for filtering the yeast out?
How much dextrose do you add to your bottling bucket for a 5 gallon batch?

and as far as the yeasty flavours, how long are you letting your beers sit before bottling? Are you using a secondary?

Old 12-08-2010, 01:18 PM  

Yeast is $3-4 dollars, but it's WELL worth it considering you can get about 5 generations of wash out of it. One package can easily turn into 4 VERY viable jars of wash, using only 1 per fermentation can actually go beyond saving you money and into giving you essentially free yeast. Buy a package once, then Read This and enjoy the cheaper costs at LHBS!! ^_^
Old 12-08-2010, 01:56 PM  

Houston, Texas
I just started out in brewing and really enjoy the hobby.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:31 PM  

Houston, TX
I'm a homebrewer in NW Houston! Got a hazelnut brown that I bottled on Sunday, and an American IPA PM kit to start as soon as I find the time. As the mom of a 2 year old and a newborn, though, I'm not sure exactly when that may be...
Old 12-08-2010, 03:47 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
I'm a homebrewer in NW Houston! Got a hazelnut brown that I bottled on Sunday, and an American IPA PM kit to start as soon as I find the time. As the mom of a 2 year old and a newborn, though, I'm not sure exactly when that may be...
Nice to see females brewing! Very refreshing!! No SWMBO's over there hehehe. There are some recipes and links (ever growing) for Houston brewers here. Brand new, but attempting to constantly add links and recipes!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:31 AM  

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxhuskie9 View Post
only been brewing for about 6 months but have started losing confidence as nothing has really turned out the way i wanted it to. I've done 5 batches now, and just about all of them have tasted way too yeasty and not matter how consistent I try to stay with my priming/carbonating stage, the beer either turns out nearly flat, or waaaayyy too carbonated!

I'll try again soon, but any advice would help...what are ya'll doing for filtering the yeast out?
Well, if you're bottling, you don't filter out the yeast. You need them in the bottles (along with priming sugar) to carbonate.

The trick to make sure the beer isn't too yeasty is to put them in the fridge standing up so that the sediment settles to the bottom, then not pour the whole thing into the glass.

Where in town are you? Maybe you can find someone with more experience who is willing to lend a hand on brew day, rack day and bottle day.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:34 AM  

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6August6Derleth6 View Post

Yeah, it may be the same amount of work, but you also have to buy a propane tank, a regulator, a burner and a turkey fryer or keg-shell. . .so it's not anywhere near the same amount of MONEY.
You don't need that other stuff. I'm doing 5 gallon batches on my stove.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:58 AM  

Houston, TX
Quote:
Nice to see females brewing! Very refreshing!! No SWMBO's over there hehehe. There are some recipes and links (ever growing) for Houston brewers here. Brand new, but attempting to constantly add links and recipes!
technically, it's "our" beer, since I sometimes let him help with the bottling and heavy lifting...

Joined the group! Thanks!
Old 12-09-2010, 07:49 AM  

Houston, TX
Quote:

Quote:
You don't need that other stuff. I'm doing 5 gallon batches on my stove.
Thanks, beat me too it. You don't not NEED all the things you listed. I did about my first 10 batches, all 5 gallon, in the kitchen. it's called a partial mash. you only deal with 2-3 gallons of water, then top off at the end to get to 5.

So again, making 1 gal. of beer, IMO, is a waste of time and not very rewarding.
Course some people say this about 5 gals.. and they do 10 gal batches. I agree with that as well, but as long as I'm experimenting and trying new recipes, i'm not gonna do 10 gals. 5 gals of beer you aren't crazy about is easier to get rid of than 10.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.