Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2010, 03:19 PM  
Professional

Texas
Favorite cheap pastimes in Houston...

OK, so I have lived here a little over a year and I know that there has got to be more to do here than the few things I have discovered.

Here is what I have so far:

1. Galveston for a decent Saturday or Sunday trip to relax and walk by the beach.

2. Kemah

3. Montrose area shops and restaurants.

That is pretty much it. I am fairly easily entertained, so I am just looking for some fun things to do in the city. What are you guys' favorite spots?
I figure this may help out some others as well!

Interests:
Music, recording, biking, camping, fancy beer and brewing, the outdoors, cool shops.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:30 PM  

Well, for just chillin the Japanese Gardens at Hermann Park is pretty awesome! Of course there's the Water Wall. I enjoy sitting at the tops of parking garages on certain evenings (weather permitting) and have a long list of free garages written somewhere. It's also fun to go to the old (mostly abandoned) Chinese malls in china/vietnam town! Houston's got a lot of great parks, some even have Frisbee Golf courses! Hope you enjoy and explore and find your own awesome spots!

Old 11-22-2010, 03:31 PM  

Oh, forgot. The Arboretum is fun and free! And the trails in the woods at memorial park for a nice healthy walk in the shade.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:05 PM  
Big Punisher

Houston, Texas
Try the St. Arnolds Brewery tour on Saturdays.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:05 PM  

Houston, TX
Run clubs and rock climbing keep me busy. Camping in Austin is always a good time.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:07 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
Try the St. Arnolds Brewery tour on Saturdays.
Yeahhh pretty neat, but I'm much fonder of their old brewery than the new one.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:48 AM  

Houston, TX
Cheap Pasttimes

We've been in Houston for 16 years now, but when we were in your shoes my wife took the kids to several things that were very inexpensive. The two that stand out the most to me were the visit to the Blue Bell Ice Creamery in Brenham and the ship channel. Blue bell is about 90 minutes NW of city center, but the drive is pleasant and the visit when you there enjoyable.

Some may question visiting the ship channel, but there are tours available that netted some very interesting information about Houston, the ship channel and the surrounding areas. Great stuff for kids -- or adults with kid-like views!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:08 PM  

houston, tx
if you have kids buy a bicycle and a kid trailer of some sort. houston has a lot of urban trails here and there; you just have to know where to look. and you can pretty much ride year round if you can take the heat!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:55 PM  

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mageac View Post
if you have kids buy a bicycle and a kid trailer of some sort. houston has a lot of urban trails here and there; you just have to know where to look. and you can pretty much ride year round if you can take the heat!
It's funny, but it seems the older I get the less I can take the heat!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:09 PM  

Conroe, Texas
If you are ever in the downtown area go to Flying Saucer. Great bar with a ton of great beers on tap.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads