Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2010, 06:36 AM  

Houston, Texas
Land for sale?

For years, I've dreamed of building my own home in a secluded area with trees everywhere. I have so far failed miserably finding anything outside the city limits, on the east, southeast or northeast side, that's not either far, far, FAR away, or extremely expensive, or next to a chemical plant or toxic dump. Something in Dayton county, maybe - I expected the real estate to be cheaper, now that the economy is bad and the housing market has gone down the toilet, but I'm shocked that people want $50K for a narrow track of land by a freeway and pesticide plant. Does anyone know where I might find 5-10 wooded acres that's not halfway to Arkansas? (It HAS to be outside of the houston limits; I can not, will not, go through the building permit code enforcement people; been there, done that, hated it with a passion!)

Thanks
-Mark

Old 12-16-2010, 05:00 AM  

Houston, Texas
Mark,
I have been looking for the same thing and just cannot find anything. I can find lots of land in South or West Texas right near the Mexican border....That really does not bother me but I don't feel like putting up sentry towers and walking or driving around my own property with a rifle, shotgun, and a couple of hand guns strapped on my sides.
....and like you the only land I can find is real far away,about a 2 hour drive North East of Dallas, or by the toxic dump, chemical plant, or oil refinery.

Texas, or at least our area in the Great Houston area has held up pretty well against the economic downfall.....I guess we should be happy that it has done so well at a time that almost all the other states have taken a nose dive.....But I was really hoping I could use the opportunity to get a 5 to 10 acre preferably wooded lot (with hardwoods) so I could set up a small saw mill (the portable kind), start cutting, let it dry for a few years and start building a house/cabin.

I did run across a guy in Katy (I think on the western outskirt) with 2 six acre lots, one on each side of the property he has built on. I think he was asking 54 Thousand for each lot but looking them up with google maps and from some of the info he gave me, the lots are not wooded.
If you want the info just let me know and I will see if it is still available and PM you the info.

Good luck on your search.....and if you find something (an extra lot) let me know.
-Dan

Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 AM  

Houston, Texas
Mark, there is land in Sealy/Bellville/Katy - We're currently looking ourselves :0)
Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 AM  

good luck. Land is still very expensive anywhere with in a 100 miles of Houston. I hate to break it to you but you will have pricks that enforce code no matter where you will build.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:32 PM  

Houston, Texas
I've done some oil/gas work in the Liberty and Hardin Counties area and really liked the land. It's just east of Harris County. Lots of mature forest, and as I understand, good hunting. I looked a couple years ago and I remember price/acre didn't seem to bad. We're going to start looking in that area soon.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:00 AM  

Houston, TX
Have yall looked down south on 288?
Old 12-23-2010, 01:19 AM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_jeep View Post
good luck. Land is still very expensive anywhere with in a 100 miles of Houston. I hate to break it to you but you will have pricks that enforce code no matter where you will build.
For me a 100 mile drive would be fine, It would not be a full time home for a while, pretty much a holiday and weekend getaway type place to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownjeep View Post
Have yall looked down south on 288?
Where down 288?
Old 12-23-2010, 05:52 PM  

plantersville or anywhere just north of cleavland tx has lots of trees i want to move there!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:09 AM  

Dayton, Texas
i'm from dayton and been here all my life.. i live on 8 acres and it's all wooded.. you can't see my house from the entrance of my property.. i paid 5k an acre.. im tryin' to get the guy who owns the 16 next to me and buy it.. he won't sell it.. he's an older gentleman too.. i'll just keep trying.. i want to clear about 85% of it and get cattle and horses for it..
Old 02-08-2011, 02:10 AM  

Dayton, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_jeep View Post

i disagree.. where i live, you can build any kind of jalopy house you want.. i'm glad no one has done that around me, but we don't have any restrictions..

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads