Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2011, 01:43 PM  
Citizen

Cypress, Texas
Market Valuation - what's the law

I have a small farm in Harris County. Every year, for the last decade, I have protested the market valuation and been successful in lowering the number. However, for 2010, it seems the rules changed.

My property, under D-1 agricultural use, used to be compared to other agricultural properties. But in 2010, the land was compared to a church parking lot, a residential lot in a very up-scale neighborhood and a retail strip center. The 'arbiters' defended the county's comparisons because "empty land is empty land."

Obviously, the protest did not go well and the market valuation jumped 210%. Thankfully, the ag exemption is in place, so the tax due did not climb dramatically, but it's the principle of the valuation that irks me.

To my questions:
1. Has anyone had a similar experience?
2. Rumor has it the State Legislature has a bill in committee that will require properties to be compared to truly comparable properties. Anyone heard of this?

Old 01-27-2011, 02:42 PM  
Citizen

Cypress, Texas
Okay, I'm feeling a little exposed here. Am I the ONLY one having some 'issues' with our Appraisal folks?

Anyone? Anyone?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:54 AM  

I have to fight the appraisal people every year. With having several commercial properties I learned really quick you cannot win arguing with them yourself. You need to get a property tax lawyer to argue your appeal with them.

Most of the property tax lawyers just charge you a percent of what they save you which is really a steal in the long run. I know the issue of having to pay someone to say the same stuff you could say yourself chaps your rear as much as mine. But its like traffic court, its all a racket and if your not one of them "the lawyers" they are going to roast you.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Bookmark this Page!