Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2010, 02:34 PM  

Tech Industry Jobs

I considering relocating to your beautiful state and would like to get some input on your economy.

How are tech industry jobs faring there in the Houston area? Has the economy hurt them like everything else in the country or are they still faring strong?

Thanks for your input - I appreciate it!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:28 PM  

Richmond, Texas
In my opinion - I spent over 20 years in IT in the Houston area. I got caught in a layoff in 2001 and changed fields. However, I feel IT is making a bit of a comeback and there are some opportunities in the Houston area. That being said, put out some feelers before you make an irrevocable leap and see if there is anything of interest to you.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:50 AM  

Houston, Texas
There's a very big petrochemical industry here, around the ship channel area especially. I would look into getting onboard with one of them. Anything in petrochem is going to pay more than anywhere else; I have a high school diploma, and I'm making more than most college grads! I guess it's because it's hard to find people to work in a chemical plant (stay away from BP!) but where I work, safety is the number one concern of everyone. I've heard the word "safety" so much I feel guilty cleaning out my gutters without a harness on! Excellent benefits too; the media may think refineries are the modern-day evil Goliaths, but if you drive a car, drink out of a styrofoam cup, fly in a plane or have anything made out of plastic, thank a petrochem company...

-Mark
Old 12-11-2010, 07:54 AM  

Spring, Texas
I have friends in IT. It seems as if things have leveled off - not laying off but not hiring yet.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:07 PM  

HOUSTON, Texas
Don't forget the Medical Center. It is continuing to grow along with its IT needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackey2000 View Post
I considering relocating to your beautiful state and would like to get some input on your economy.

How are tech industry jobs faring there in the Houston area? Has the economy hurt them like everything else in the country or are they still faring strong?

Thanks for your input - I appreciate it!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:52 PM  

Houston, Texas
Not sure, but if you are looking for a nice house that is priced well south of Houston, let me know!! Mines for sale!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 PM  

Spring, TX
I work for a software company in The Woodlands with 60+ employees. Not only have we had no layoffs, but we've been continually hiring. I'd say the tech industry in Houston is pretty strong.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Bookmark this Page!

« Kemah, TX | Waco?? »