Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2010, 08:52 PM  
Big Punisher

Houston, Texas
20-30% won't buy you squat. Good luck with that.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:09 AM  

Houston, TX
sure it will. Keep telling yourself that, and be stuck with houstons miserable summers. Totally not an even trade off in my mind.
We've already had plenty luck looking in far north denver. tons of areas in the low to mid $100's/sqft. take into account the ~%1 prop tax there, and there's plenty to be had at not much more than houston. we pay 4% prop tax.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:50 PM  
Big Punisher

Houston, Texas
Far north Denver? Your trading one bad season for another. I would rather sweat than scrape windows and shovel snow all winter. Great place to visit....... Mid 100's means like 150's /sqft? It costs 80-90 to live in FAR north Houston. That's a lot more than your estimated 20-30%. Lower property tax is great if you don't have a job. They have a state income tax. 4% is not not the state rate anyway. You live in a MUD disctrict that taxes the hell out of you and you pay school taxes also. Try again.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:03 PM  

Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
Far north Denver? Your trading one bad season for another. I would rather sweat than scrape windows and shovel snow all winter. Great place to visit....... Mid 100's means like 150's /sqft? It costs 80-90 to live in FAR north Houston. That's a lot more than your estimated 20-30%. Lower property tax is great if you don't have a job. They have a state income tax. 4% is not not the state rate anyway. You live in a MUD disctrict that taxes the hell out of you and you pay school taxes also. Try again.
bad season? shovel snow all winter? hah, sounds like the typical person's perception of denver weather. they have more sunny days than almost anywhere else in the US, and aside from about 4 weeks in the dead of winter, you aren't scraping or shoveling any snow, the sun will melt it for you. you probably think there's just 3 feet of snow on the ground all winter. not even close. maybe Fargo, ND.

only jobless people benefit you say? hmm, pay 4% on my $250K house or 4.63% (the flat CO state income tax rate) on my $80K income.. man, tough decision.

I have 4 aunts with a combined 60+ years in denver area, and I've been 10+ times all throughout the year, and i've talked to all of them endless times about it, and all of their opinions and things they tell me are consistent, and it's nothing like you may think.

we were up there two weekends ago, they hadn't had their first snow yet. it flurried for about an hour on monday morning, but had no trace of it by noon. oh man, bring out the shovels.

sorry, your false allegations haven't convinced me. the small increase of living cost and a month of snow packed on the ground are a way better deal than our 12 weeks of ridiculous heat.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:58 PM  

austin, tx
the humidity is oppressive...and the mosquitos
Old 12-22-2010, 05:56 AM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
Cost of living cancels out the hot summer as far as I'm concerned. Very few places anywhere you can live this nice for the price.
+1 on this!!! Also, if you are working in the medical field the pay is much better in the Houston Med Center. Between the pay increase there and the property prices (stay in Fort Bend for lower property taxes) it is a hard place to beat.

We moved here 5 years ago and the summers were hot but it cooled off a bit in the evening, I would say 7pm or 8pm.
.....Now the last three summers have been brutally hot and humid. I have had people that lived here all their life say that the past 2 or 3 were way too hot.

So, for people that have been here a long time....are the past three years or the first few years that I described normal?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:39 AM  

Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by podboy333 View Post
So, for people that have been here a long time....are the past three years or the first few years that I described normal?
I've been here 20 years, and i've never remembered a summer that went by where I said huh it wasn't very hot this summer.It seems heat index was 100+ for many weeks throughout july/aug.
And I've never experienced a 'cool' night in the summer. 75-80 is not cool IMO. Record low in july and august is 64, that would be cool in my book. but that's a record, and it hasn't happened that I remember since 1990.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:46 AM  

Missouri City, TX
So who's relatives brought the cold weather and rain with them for the holidays?
Old 12-31-2010, 06:53 AM  

League City-Clear Lake, Texas
It's hot in the summer but nice this time of year. Plus, we don't have to shovel humidity

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Bookmark this Page!