Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Idaho
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2010, 04:26 PM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisgold View Post
What really ticks me off about the wolves and the mt lions is the people that put them in our back door. For the most part they do not even live where those animals live.

On hunting people - - That is happening as we speak in Afghanistan and to a lesser extent Iraq. It also happens right here in our country perpetrated by criminal on women usually.

I hope you don't run into any critters out your back door.

If you knew anything about hunting you would know that the hunters in this country contribute millions of dollars every year to support the game animals and their habitat. They are the reason that there are so many elk and deer to hunt.

Don't think I'm a hunter, I have not picked up a rifle to hunt in 25 years.
Your title suggests otherwise, and hints that you might be picking up a rifle very soon, in defense of those elk! I grew up in a hunting culture, Though, for me its been over 28 years since I went into the mountains intent on getting food, and we have mountain lions and bears at my back door too, yes sir! I am also aware of the fact that hunters contribute millions of dollars, but they do it only because they get something out of it. It's sort of like praising the contributions of the timber or oil industries to natural resources preservation. They don't do it out of love for the land, but for personal profit and gain only. Besides that, millions of dollars flow into the preservation of Elk and other animals habitats via taxes and tourism from hunters and non hunters alike, so hunters, while being a double edged sword of both good and bad, aren't the only folks funneling money into protecting the elks habitat. Many many organizations and groups of people, who by the way, happen to NOT be hunters, and not driven by personal gain, make unbelievable contributions. So hunters aren't the only saviours of the elk populations! You also forget, or fail to recognize that the wolves make for a healthier elk population, by eleminating the weak from the herd, that would otherwise eat the limited food stocks in the winter, thereby depriving the healthier elk of food. The wolves, as they had for thousands of years before man interceded, helped to balance things out in a natural setting. Regarding the hunting people........I was making a comment that was two fold. One, that humans do more to decimate the elk populations than the wolves or the mountain lions, and two, that some hunters merely just like killing things for the sport of it, rather than actually being hungry, or needing the food. I've been around many men who talked about shooting an animal and were actually...... aroused! I just thought that if they enjoyed killing something so much, and were genuinely pissed off about something desimating those poor elk populations, then they should take aim at the real culprit, thereby leaving the elk for critters and men who actually need the food. This way, the sport hunters and food hunters are both made whole.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:27 PM  

Kuna, ID
I Cant tell you how many thousands of hours I have spent in the woods (valley county & adams county) & I have never once seen a mountain lion.. To me there like a mythical prize hunt.. Wolves on the other hand need to be heavily hunted IMHO to bring there populations way down..

And no hunters are not the only ones contributing to saving the habitat, But without the hunters doing our thing for our personal gain then the elk/deer population would grow enormously, causing a chain reaction followed byt the predator population growing & with the reduced habitat of this century disease would happen causing the deer/elk population to drop leaving all those predators to eat your baby's..

Moral of that story.. its a balance.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:36 PM  
Traveler

Amen brother! There's plenty for everyone. Can't we all just get along?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 AM  

Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
I've only started to hunt in Idaho as I've only been here a year, but I grew up in Spokane WA and all the times out hunting I've never seen a Mt. Lion. I've heard a few wolves but nothing to ever shoot. I've always bought the mt. lion/bear addition tag but never seen anything. So I don't think they are over populated.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 PM  

Kuna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
If you ask me, I think people are harder on the elk population than any wolves or mountain lions, and it could be argued that there are too many people walking around, (my hand is up in the air in this vote) so how about hunting people? Now THAT would be the ultimate hunt don't you think? Of course I'm funning you now.........I think..............(wink......wink!)
You need to get out in the woods and see for yourself! Not what is on CNN
Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 PM  

Spokane, WA
Wolves do not just eat the old and sick. They kill anything they can and run the herds to teach their young how to hunt. They do not eat everything they kill either. I have talked to many hunters who have come across elk that were wolf kill that had not been eaten. They also kill livestock. Some livestock are very valuable but the government only reimburses for the cheapest going rate on livestock. The wolves also kill the trained guard dogs.

The wolves have done so much better and populated a much larger area (Wolves have been seen in Oregon and Colorado.) than the biologists had anticipated. Why shouldn't they? Man is their only threat. And they are protected at the moment.

These are some observations that I have made living and talking with people here in Idaho and neighboring states. Main stream media does not want to report about these deeper issues. So you don't hear about it except through people who are out there. I leave you to make your own opinions.

At some point in the future when I am hiking in the wonderful Idaho back country I am going to be in danger of being hunted by a pack of wolves. I will be carrying a gun with me for protection. Now I have offended a whole new group of people.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tierod View Post
You need to get out in the woods and see for yourself! Not what is on CNN
I LIVE in the woods! Furthermore....each year I go out and get firewood and travel to distant hiking trails with my wife. This debate like so many others, is fueled by ignorance, opinions and a little scientific data. Though I've seen mountain lions, even in my front yard....twice, in 40 some years, I can tell you that man has killed more animals wastefully than ANY wolf population could ever do, and that is a presentable fact. But I see no rallying cry to eleminate humans! Some people just get aroused at the thought of killing something, and if that's what floats your boat, then I say get out there and kill some wolves, but wolves were here long before us and things did just fine until we showed up with our survey equipment!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstone View Post
Wolves do not just eat the old and sick. They kill anything they can and run the herds to teach their young how to hunt. They do not eat everything they kill either. I have talked to many hunters who have come across elk that were wolf kill that had not been eaten. They also kill livestock. Some livestock are very valuable but the government only reimburses for the cheapest going rate on livestock. The wolves also kill the trained guard dogs.

The wolves have done so much better and populated a much larger area (Wolves have been seen in Oregon and Colorado.) than the biologists had anticipated. Why shouldn't they? Man is their only threat. And they are protected at the moment.

These are some observations that I have made living and talking with people here in Idaho and neighboring states. Main stream media does not want to report about these deeper issues. So you don't hear about it except through people who are out there. I leave you to make your own opinions.

At some point in the future when I am hiking in the wonderful Idaho back country I am going to be in danger of being hunted by a pack of wolves. I will be carrying a gun with me for protection. Now I have offended a whole new group of people.
First off, how could those hunters determine that something was killed by a wolf and just left to rot? Never knew a hunter to do an autopsey in the field on a discovered animal lying there dead! Hunters wound animals ALL the time by the way, and the wounded animal will often go off and die. I was out in the woods one time and a raven fell out of a tree and landed right next to me on the ground! Animals can just up and die suddenly too, just like people. Here's a fact for you and not intended to insult you or anyone else, but if you watched any nature shows, you'd see that often an animal, such as a wolf for instance, will kill an animal and hide or bury the carcass for feasting on at a later time. Animals are not wasteful like humans, who will kill just for the sport of it, or just for the hide or trophy rack! Animals are a bit more sophisticated in their actions than that and in nature.......everything is consumed. In closing and for what it's worth, I have a small arsenal of weapons including two of my favorite assault weapons ever made, right at my front door, should a critter stalk my animals, and when in the woods, I pack some stainless out there too, and would fire to defend myself from an attacking animal, if need be, so no offense here!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:33 AM  

Idaho Falls, Idaho
I have lived in Idaho most of my life. I have never seen a mountain lion or a wolf (heard wolves many times). I have never seen a grizzly, and only a few black bears. I have only seen one rattlesnake. No doubt all of these scary things exist, but not in sufficient numbers to worry about.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:41 PM  

Indiana
I understand why animal populations need to be "balanced" but what I don't understand is why the human animal is left unchecked. I'm not talking about hunting people either, but a common sense agreement to only replace ourselves BEFORE we face the consequences of all over populated animals-starvation. It's happening in some places in the world.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Idaho
Bookmark this Page!