Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2010, 10:09 AM  

Belleville, Illinois
Best Home brew starter sets

Allisons Scent and Home Brew Shop Downtown Belleville, IL

Old 12-17-2010, 01:43 PM  
Joe

Elgin, IL
Dieter,
Without trying to take any business away from your local homebrew shop (a very important place to get advice, tips, and to meet people), I'd like to suggest (if you haven't heard of them already) AustinHomebrew.com they have a huge selection of Kits (all kits available as all-grain or extract along with many discounts, upgrades, even downloadable labels) and equipment, and a kind shipping policy!!
Morebeer.com and midwestsupplies.com are 2 other great ones...

Old 12-21-2010, 06:36 PM  

St. louis
I think whether you go to a LHBS or an online store, as long as you know what your looking for it doesn't matter.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:48 AM  

Starter Kits

Have been looking a lot at Northern Brewer but have not tried one yet. Anyone tried these?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 AM  

Schaumburg, IL
They are just fine for a starter kit, some times the NB kits need a little extra imho. A good starting point anyway.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:15 AM  

plainfield, il
I've been going to the Brew and Grow in Bollingbrook. They have some good kits and will help you to suit your needs. Very friendly and knowledgeale people there.

I prefer to buy local whenever possible but midwest is a good site.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 AM  
Joe

Elgin, IL
Not sure about the bolingbrook store, but the Schaumburg Brew and Grow gives a 10% discount to all AHA members. Due to the savings there and goose Island, I've more than made my money back for the membership!

American Homebrewers Association | Home

It comes with a subscription of Zymurgy too!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:44 PM  

Rockford, IL
Brew and Grow in Rockford is also a nice shop with knowledgeable staff. We have a deal worked out where we get a 10% discount for our LHBC, The Forest City Brewers.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:26 AM  

Northern brewer is great because they have a really good website. They are about even with Austinhomebrew but for a beginner I say stick with northern until you get the idea. The best bet is to start off by heading to Barnes and Noble and grab a home brew book. It gives you the idea of brewting which is quite simple.

Once you get to making larger batches use Austinhomebrew because they have $7 flat rate shipping and free shipping for orders over $100.

Good luck and welcome to the club,

Careful, its almost as addicting as getting a jeep.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:48 PM  

Chicago
I've had good luck with Northern Brewer Kits. Highly recommend Jamil's Evil Twin.Can't get enough of that one.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads