Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2010, 03:47 PM  

East Alton, Illinois
Helmet Law for Motorcycles in Illinois?

Coincidentally...Illinois is one of only 3 states in the US that does not have some form of Helmet Law? I am not saying I endorse legislating what to me is common sense...but I find it strangely ironic that we too (Illinois) is only one of three states that refuses to honor the 2nd amendment in the form of some concealed carry legislation.

Im just sayin...

Old 12-04-2010, 07:25 AM  

Roselle, IL
I have to guess that the lack of a helmet law has a lot to do with our proximity to Milwaukee and Harley Davidson, the cultural originators of the "It's cool not to protect your head" mentality.

I could be completely wrong though. I always wear a helmet regardless. I even wear one when mountain biking, which actually makes sense because if you're not crashing every so often you're not riding hard enough. I have hit my helmeted head many times when MTB'ing. Fortunately in 40,000 miles on a motorcycle I've never had a crash (knocks on wood).

Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 AM  

As they say, "There are those who have gone down, and others who will go down", so be careful out there and by all means, whether legal or not, always wear your brain bucket!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:04 PM  

Central, IL
I find it funny that a large portion of the no helmet crowd are the same ones with the "Loud pipes save lives" stickers. I feel like you should have to have the basics like boots, a full set of leathers, and a helmet before you can have that sticker.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM  

Lafayette, Indiana
I hope IL never gets a helmet law for riders that are over 18. I am however in favor of requiring riders that are under the age of 18 to wear a helmet.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:21 AM  

Milan, il
I don't think it's a matter of if but when. They will enact the law and set up "safety checks" and start pulling over cyclists who don't have a helmet on in effort to save lives (code word for raising revenue)
Old 12-14-2010, 12:53 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountbiking View Post
I hope IL never gets a helmet law for riders that are over 18. I am however in favor of requiring riders that are under the age of 18 to wear a helmet.
I agree. People over the age of 18 have less of a chance to getting a head injury. NOT!!! This logic is fundamentally flawed. It's like the law in Hawaii that makes it illegal for anyone under the age of 13 to ride in the back of a pick-up. We all know that once you reach 13 you can no longer fall out of the truck.

I am not really in favor of the gov. mandating that everyone wears a helmet. I do think, however, that anybody that rides without a helmet should automatically be made organ donors. Helmets do save lives. To not wear one, in my opinion, is ludacris. Any arguement that can be made for not wearing a helmet is made void when someone like me has to tell a family that thier loved one is brain dead after an otherwise survivable accident. Don't want to wear one, fine. Your organs belong to the organ and tissue bank. As far as helmet laws raising revenue......How much does the long term care of the head injured person cost you, the tax payer, in the long term?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:58 PM  
Chi Town

addison, il
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountbiking View Post
I completely agree that you should wear a helmet if you are under 18... I would even move it to 21, because kids can be pretty dumb.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 PM  

warrenville, Illinois
i dont think there should be a law but more of just common sense, my dad and i have both fallen off our bikes, we both wore our helmets every time we went out, since then my dad decided to not wear it anymore... which i think is kinda dumb, i still wear mine especially after falling on the freeway
Old 01-06-2011, 04:55 PM  

Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigg View Post
Coincidentally...Illinois is one of only 3 states in the US that does not have some form of Helmet Law?

Illinois DID have a helmet law at one time...and it took a LOT of effort to finally get rid of it!!

I have a full face helmet & I wear it when I think it's needed, and don't when I think it would be more of a liability than help....and that's the way it should be.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois
Bookmark this Page!