Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2011, 02:32 PM  

So your saying nobody should drive because car accidents cause insurance rates to go up , and everyone should remain celibate because sex can cause aids ,and that causes insurance rates to go up ,sure I could go on and on useing your logic but not going to .

Old 02-03-2011, 02:24 PM  

Hmmm.........Did I say that? I don't remember saying that. What I am saying is that the individual should take prudent measures to limit the risks that their actions involve. I believe that I did say that I am not really in favor of more gov. I am also not in favor of loosing more money because of someone elses lack of insight, personal concern, preservation, whatever. There is no simple answer here. It is funny that you lumped in something like AIDS in your comment. Nothing like helmet laws. AIDS is completely preventable from the individual standpoint. Wrecking on your bike is not always preventable. There is always the little old lady that can't see over the wheel who makes the left turn in front of you.

There is another way to look at this. Is obtaining a license and driving on the roads a right or a privalege? If it is a right, then why can the gov revoke anybodies license? If it is a privalege, then the gov has the right to regulate it.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:31 AM  

Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
There is another way to look at this. Is obtaining a license and driving on the roads a right or a privalege? If it is a right, then why can the gov revoke anybodies license? If it is a privalege, then the gov has the right to regulate it.
It is a right, unfortunately the court has ruled that it's a privilege, which is wrong.

Anyway I think you are right, in most cases a helmet is safer.
The rub seems to be is where the line is drawn on how "safe" we need to be.

If we left it up to the lobbying insurance companies to decide for us, there would be no sports at all, cars would have governors on them and there would be no motorcycles, etc, etc.

I'm just tired of living my life down to the 'lowest common denominator'.

As an example if there's someone out there stupid enough to get drunk and hold a M-80 till it blows their fingers off, then they want to pass a law to take away fireworks from everyone.

Is that right? Do we have to try to save the 'stupid' people from themselves, (or the ones that sometimes make 'stupid' decisions, like me). Or make ourselves as "SAFE" as possible, no matter the consequences?

I'd just as soon stumble alone on my own...no matter what the insurance lobby wants...
Old 03-02-2011, 10:55 AM  

For me personally, driving is a privilege. However I do think theres a difference between endangering yourself vs endangering other people. I don't personally think helmets should be mandatory, after all it's your skull. On the other hand though driving without mirrors would be considered dangerous to both yourself and other people because it limits your view.

I guess im trying to say that being reckless with yourself is one thing, but if it is something that affects other drivers then the government should have the right to protect other drivers by pulling you off the road.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:02 PM  

Secor, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by redframes View Post
For me personally, driving is a privilege. However I do think theres a difference between endangering yourself vs endangering other people.
with that!!

I dont ride a motorcycle, but since I have to wear my seatbelt, then motorcyclists should have to wear a helmet. Weather I choose to wear my seatbelt or not, should be my choice.

Do seatbelts/helmets save lives?? Depends on the accident (more so on automobiles). Sometimes its better to have been buckled in, and sometimes it would have been better to not be buckled up. Sometimes it woulnt have mattered.

Lets say you got into a wreck, the car was on fire, and you for some reason couldnt get the seatbelt unbuckled. Your trapped and gonna be extra crispy.

Like I said, it should be the driver/rider's choice to be protected or not... PERIOD!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:52 AM  

First there is a diference between the government having you put on a piece of safety equiptment built into a car (dont think they have the right to) and them telling you what you need to wear on your body. two driving is a privelage ,if you look at the US vehical code(written in the early 1900's stiil on the books as law) - driving is defined as using a vehical for income (truck driver , cab driver) ,but it also states if you are using a vehical for persanel use is considered the act of locomotion on a public right away, which is considered a right and cannot be regulated
Old 03-03-2011, 07:57 AM  

Indianapolis, Indiana
I live in Indiana which currently also does not have a helmet law. I personally like the freedom this gives me as a motorcycle owner. As others have mentioned if laws were passed to protect everyone from anything dangerous we would not have anything left. Who is to say where the line in the sand is to be drawn, elected officials have enough economy problems to deal with IMO.

I think every adult with a valid drivers license with a motorcycle endorsement has the right to choose to either wear one or not.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:22 PM  

I've been on bikes my whole life, I wear a helmet cuz I'm a much better passenger than I am a driver but my Dad (whos been riding his whole life too) prefers not to wear his and I fully support his right to choose. ^_^

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois
Bookmark this Page!