Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Iowa
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2010, 02:08 PM  

Geneva, Iowa
Changes to Permit Laws

We are getting some changes to the permit laws.

New Iowa gun permits available in January - chicagotribune.com

It doesn't affect much, but there are changes.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:09 AM  

Underwood, Iowa
That is interesting. You know any more about this? Not much info in that short story. The couple points made are interesting. Being able to drink alcohol while carrying, and that sheriffs can not deny anyone a permit. I wonder how this will affect concealed carry permits?

Old 11-16-2010, 11:14 AM  

Iowa/ Georgia
This is good, some sheriffs are *******, and wont give any permits. Score one for 2nd amendment rights.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 PM  
AKA Brewmando

Fort Madison, Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
That is interesting. You know any more about this? Not much info in that short story. The couple points made are interesting. Being able to drink alcohol while carrying, and that sheriffs can not deny anyone a permit. I wonder how this will affect concealed carry permits?
Keep in mind you cannot be legally intoxicated while carrying and a most interesting twist to the new law is that they would prefer that you carry your sidearm concealed so as to not cause any undo alarm or attention to your carry status.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:09 AM  
Moe

Des Moines, Iowa
I applaud this change. I lived in Georgia (A shall Issue State) for 14 years and had a carry permit. Three years ago I moved back to Iowa. Thought I live in a county where the Sheriff is supposedly "more likely to issue", I was convinced it was not worth the hassle. I will be applying for a carry permit next year. When in Georgia, I seldom carried, typically only a few times a year so I could remain comfortable with the process. But I liked having the right to carry, if I felt like I would need to. I was also told by a law enforcement officer that it didn't hurt to have the permit, even just for transporting your firearm from home to the firing range as some officers really didn't understand the gun laws, and if you were stopped, it made the "session" go easier.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 AM  

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The response so far has been overwhelmingly positive to this change. Myself and many of my friends are getting concealed carry permits.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:15 PM  

Davenport, Iowa
I will be snagging one of these as well. Does anyone know if military small arms training will fly to get a permit, or do you have to sign up for a class or whatever?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:24 PM  

davenport, Iowa
This has also been very good for those doing classes for safety and training. I have been asked by 5 friends about doing the training with them.

I think I might do it just for the heck of it.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:56 AM  

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
I will be snagging one of these as well. Does anyone know if military small arms training will fly to get a permit, or do you have to sign up for a class or whatever?
Must take a course from certified instructor.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:25 PM  

Fort Madison, Iowa
Everyone down in my part of Iowa have issues with the new law. It doesnt change much to current laws and as far as increased shootings thats highly doubtful since most of the people that will carry arent stupid enough to shoot without a lawful reason.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Iowa
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads