Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kansas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 AM  

Witchita
Apartment Question

I'm signing a lease with a complex, and they are making me sign a disclaimer that if I don't pay rent they can come in to my apt, remove my belonging and hold them for ransom, then sell them if I don't pay. The lady says that everyone in the area writes this in. Any renters ever hear of this? It seems illegal.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:01 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I've never heard of that, nor would I ever sign something like that. I'm not sure of the legality of it - I'm sure you could call a lawyer's office and ask them about it. Also, there may be some sort of online Lawyer's Firm that answers questions for free (they do this so they can find a good case to represent, win, and make some money, of course!)

I'd back out of that, but that's just me.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-15-2010, 02:23 PM  

Wichita, Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailend View Post
I'm signing a lease with a complex, and they are making me sign a disclaimer that if I don't pay rent they can come in to my apt, remove my belonging and hold them for ransom, then sell them if I don't pay. The lady says that everyone in the area writes this in. Any renters ever hear of this? It seems illegal.
I haven't rented anything around here since the late 90's, but I've never heard of that and suspect that the lady is full of it. Check around with some other complexes and ask them about it. It's probably legal if you sign it, but that's only because you agreed to it by signing their paper.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:38 AM  

el dorado, kansas
my apartment complex doesnt do that, they just try to take you to court and evict you but im in el dorado not wichita
Old 10-09-2010, 10:22 PM  

wichita, ks
wow

never heard of that one ive rented a couple apts thru the years here dont remember anything like that think id find a new apt
Old 10-13-2010, 07:24 PM  

Wichita, Ks
Sounds bogus to me. It's a dwelling not a storage unit.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:55 AM  

Spring Hill, Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailend View Post
Here is a link to the Kansas Tenant laws. Might find your answer there and good luck. My personal opinion is to look for someone else to rent.

KS Statutes: Ch 58 Article 25: Landlords And Tenants

John
Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 AM  

Wichita, Kansas
There are Kansas Statutes on the books that protect both parties. Kansas Law also has statutues for 3 party agency which protects sub-lessor bindings. Go to Kansas.gov to see the latest books.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:05 PM  

Independence, Kansas
apartment

That sounds a bit out there. I would consult an attorney before signing anything that hookie.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:33 AM  

Independence, MO
I do work for apartment complexes, one of which is in KCK. What the sheriff does when we have an eviction at that property is come and get the tenants out, and all of their belongings are left in the apartment. We then change the lock, and have to hold the belongings for 30 days. If the tenant pays all money owed within the 30 days, they can have their belongings back. If they have not paid after 30 days, we have the right to sell the property or otherwise dispose of it.

At the properties on the Missouri side, the sheriff comes and removes the tenants and waits there while we put all of their belongings on the street and change the locks. This usually turns into a free for all amongst the neighbors once the sheriff has left.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kansas
Bookmark this Page!