Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kansas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2010, 01:41 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Los Angeles, California
Please give me one good reason to visit Kansas

I would like to plan a tour of the U.S.A.
Would you help me decide where to go by giving us one good reason to visit your State.
Thanks

Old 09-15-2010, 07:13 PM  

Wichita, Kansas
If you're into history, there's a lot to see and do. A few things to check out would be Dodge City's Boot Hill, front street, and the longest continuous stretch of the Santa Fe trail still remaining. Fort Scott historic site for mid 19th century frontier military history. John Brown museum for the events and catalysts leading up to the civil war. The Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center has the second largest collection of space artifacts in the world. The Kansas Underground Salt Museum is the only salt mine open to tourists in the western hemisphere.

If you're into music, the Walnut Valley festival draws some of the best flat top pickers in the world for one week every year.

Whether it's worth making the trip or not depends on what your interests are and when you plan on going.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:56 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Like he said, tons of stuff to do!

Greensburg, KS - World's largest hand-dug well. And yes, it's open to tourists so you can actually walk down in it. You wouldn't believe how massive this thing is for being hand-dug.

I lived in Wichita as a kid for a few years, and really enjoyed it. Kansas is a whole different animal - the people there are generally nice, and there's just a lot of wide open spaces. Now, if I want to relax, Kansas is one of the first places that's on my vacation list...

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-21-2010, 08:07 AM  

Lawrence, Kansas
Lawrence

Lawrence is also a great town to visit, of course I am bias but most I grew up with moved away and have come back to live here because it is such a great place to live. This City is the home of the Kansas Jayhawks so being a college town there is a lot of culture here! Beautiful college, lots of musems, parks, biking, walking trails, three recreation lakes nearby, dog parks, great downtown with lots of history and eclectic shops with mostly non-franchised restaurants and a few bars, decent farmers market, always seems to have some event going on whether it be community movie night (played against a parking garage wall) to music and arts festivals, annual national or maybe even international but not sure bike race during the fourth of July, a few bed and breakfasts. And I can keep naming them off. Check out Lawrence.com or the Pitch.com out of Kansas City. Trust me there are plenty of things to do in Kansas... some whacky, some cool, something that you will enjoy!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:43 PM  

topeka, kansas
theres a few good mudding places for your jeep
Old 09-24-2010, 07:28 AM  

Lawrence, Kansas
Second that!

I have a jeep and a brother in law has a jeep and involved in local jeepers group local too if interested!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:06 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by patter5 View Post
theres a few good mudding places for your jeep
Better yet, there's a whole state full of good mudding places! I used to wait until after a really good rain, go about half hour outside the city, and just tear up all the dirt roads that were now mud. I blew an NP231 in my old TJ that way haha... worth it!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-26-2010, 11:44 AM  

el dorado, kansas
tons of info here Kansas Travel and Tourism Division, Kansas Department of Commerce you can even request a free map and and info to get mailed to you all about the kansas byways
Old 10-06-2010, 07:39 PM  

Atlanta, Georgia
I haven't been in many many many years, but I liked Kanasas City-KS, Lawrence, and playing in Lake Perry and Lake Clinton

PlazJ
Old 10-07-2010, 03:13 PM  

Leavenworth, KS
Some good history and steaks and BBQ.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kansas
Bookmark this Page!