Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2010, 11:02 PM  

southeast, Ohio
I think you're right on target with the number of people to start. It may be that people who live next door will want to join your group and you'll have more land to feed more people but you'll need more people to protect it. My neighbor on my farm should be a big asset. We can combine land and forces and have a very defensible position with there only being one way for cars to get in unless they figure out how to navigate the back way in but both directions can be monitored from one position. If we cut a few trees we can defend a long way in the main road direction without being close to the action. We will definitely have the high ground with a very steep climb on the back side and a long ridge that can be covered from the same lookout post in another direction. But not many will even know about that unless they live nearby. It's going to be a direction that will require a patrol presence but it can be defended because of the lack of roads.

We'll have a pond and a spring and a river with the spring providing drinking water and gravity fed water for indoor plumbing. It worked in the past but it was limited in how much water we could use. This will cause us to revert to some old ways but they are ways that are proven. I don't like it but I like the alternative even less.

My grandparents laid out all these defensive positions back in the 1930's. I just learned them from my grandmother. It's not as isolated as it once was but we still have the natural barriers that will help a lot. And best of all we have the central lookout location. If we teach the young people how to work from high in the trees to watch over things we should in excellent shape defensively.

I don't like having to go over these things in my mind but I think it's come to the point where we really need to do it whether we like it or not. Certain elements are bent on destroying our civilization and they are doing a good job of it too. But they will never dominate the American spirit. I think we'll come back stronger than ever because nothing is as strong as people who have known freedom and are threatened with having it taken away.

I was taught these things early in life to the point of even being discouraged from taking school too seriously. When I started studying on my own I was prevented from doing it because they wanted me to know the old ways instead. I let up on my children and let them choose to pursue the life the government establishes for us but I always knew it could fall apart. I did still teach them things that most people don't learn. They both have skills that can be used in extreme situations too like the ability to speak Spanish etc.. That could become a big asset.

I really don't want to come off like a wacko. I just know the history of mankind and I know what might come down the road. It's happened too many times before to ignore the possibility that it could happen again. I've studied military tactics and logistics so I think I have a fair knowledge of these things. I figure I just need to know it better than the average grasshopper.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:12 AM  

danville, kentucky
same here on the wacko part. i have been studying alot of history myself. it is something i love to read. i can see we are headed to something bad here in the united states if we don't change directions back to what our founding fathers set for us.

more later.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:01 PM  

danville, kentucky
have you done much research on emp? i have been doing alot of thinking about that alone. one emp could stop everything in america. i have been fixxing certon items and setting them back shielded from just this such thing.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:12 PM  

southeast, Ohio
Yeah an emp could set us back 150 years in the blink of an eye. I used to keep a vehicle around that didn't have any computers at all but most of them are dead and gone now as far as something to drive everyday. I still keep thinking I need to buy an old Dodge Raider or something. It was one of the last true off road vehicles that didn't have any computers at all and they are very capable off road. And since we're likely to see the state of the roads go back to their old state a 4wd is almost an imperative. People don't realize that as late as the 1940's many people couldn't get around in Kentucky because the roads were impassable once the snow and mud set in. Old people that talk about walking to school in the snow did it because even the horse drawn wagons wouldn't go anywhere in that weather. Things have changed tremendously since the end of WWII. It could change back in a hurry.

An emp is definitely the easiest way to defeat our nation. Everything we have is dependent on computer chips now including our military. They're probably more dependent than anything else. I know a lot of things are hardened against an emp but most aren't. It takes a lot of metal to prevent that wave from frying your chips.

It would probably be a good idea to latch on to a couple of good riding horses and maybe even a set of plow horses if you have somewhere to keep them and the money to feed them and the time to keep them trained. A horse will have to be broken time after time if you don't ride it almost daily. We had quite a few horses when I was young and I know what they're like when you don't ride them. That's what sold me on riding my mini bike instead. It got to where I would have to chase the horse down on my mini bike if I wanted to ride it. It knew once I caught it what was going to happen and it just plain didn't want it to happen. I wasn't mean to the horse of course but I probably should have been a little more mean than I was. You just can't treat a horse like a pet and expect it to do what you say. They want to dominate you if they can.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:56 PM  

danville, kentucky
i have a 78 chevys blazer 4x4 i keep in tip top shape. new quarters,rocker panels, floor boards. gm crate motor and a newly rebuilt tranny. no computer!!!

i have been reading about how to protect things from emp, but there is as much miss-information out there as there is information. i have seen where people have grounded thier auto's to the ground with a 6ft long steel rod drove into the ground and a welding cable running from the frame to the rod.

i have a post on another site about prepping that has a bunch of links to stuff about emp. it is good stuff to know. there are articles dealing with natural emp like what happened in the late 1800's to man made emp attacks. i can p.m. you a like if you would like.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:03 AM  

southeast, Ohio
Bingo with that Blazer! That's exactly the right kind of vehicle to have. I kept a Raider for years but I gave up after blowing my 4th engine. It didn't have a computer but it had an aluminum head on an iron block and that's a bad combination. My next vehicle was a Blazer but it was built with a computer or two I'm sure. I'm driving a Nissan Xterra now which is a heck of an off road vehicle but it has more computers than the Apollo space ships had. I wish I could find a good old 4WD with no computers. I'm going to start looking again but the last time I tried it was getting really hard to find one in decent shape. People like to use them as toys too much.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:52 AM  

danville, kentucky
my daily driver is a 1990 full sized blazer. it is fuel injected so it has a computer on it. that is why i have kept the 78 and made sure it was going to be around for awhile. i like the blazers because you can 5 grown men inside it and load everything in the back of it and off you go warm and dry!!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:13 PM  

southeast, Ohio
I loved the old Blazers but the new ones are apparently made for Japanese people. I'd own one now if I wasn't cramped up so much inside of one. Not many US vehicles are actually made to carry American size passengers these days. Some of us don't like the whole sardine thing. I have a medical condition that makes it very hard for ne to ride in a smaller vehicle. That's why the first thing I look at on any vehicle is how much room is inside. Oh for the days of the 1965 Imperial. Now that was a car built for Americans.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:32 PM  

danville, kentucky
i think you missed what i was saying. my daily drive is a full sized blazer. not a small blazer. matter of fact the motor blew up a month after i got it. i got a motor out of a cop cruiser and had it shoe horned into it. i just wished i had picked up the computer when i had the chance.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:55 AM  

southeast, Ohio
I knew what you meant. I was talking about the newer Blazers. IMO even the full size Blazers are small compared to what they used to be like. All US cars seem to get smaller every year IMO and I'm not really that anxious to make an older vehicle my daily driver. I've done that before and it always seems to lead to more hassles than it's worth for me. I'd like to have a really big car "like" the 1965 Imperial but they don't make those anymore. My bro in law had a Cadillac Escalade and although it is a big vehicle I remember much bigger vehicles. A 1990 Blazer would be considerably bigger and would make a fine daily driver if I could afford the gas. I had to make sacrifices when I bought my current vehicles like everyone. But I do know what a 1990 Chevy will do as far as gas mileage because my dad owned a 1990 Chevy truck. They were certainly easier on gas than earlier Chevy's but they still take a good amount of it.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Bookmark this Page!