Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2010, 12:46 PM  

louisville, kentucky
have a 4x4 mod question

i have a 1998 jeep grand cherokee laredo (zj) 4 door i need a couple inches clearance the easy way, im gonna cut the front fenders out some and install flexible flares. im looking for any tips or advice on this i do have tin snips and a air chisel and air for that matter =)

thanks,
jonathan

east louisville, ky

Old 10-10-2010, 11:35 AM  

Xenia, Ohio
Sawzall would be better.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:58 PM  

Louisville, Kentucky
I would use a sawzall.. before i used an air chisel.. More control..
Old 10-10-2010, 07:09 PM  

Louisville, Kentucky
You may want to call Daveys Jeep... D A V E Y S J E E P S . C O M - Specializing in Jeeps & Jeep Parts And see if they have some already cut up. This way you can save your stock fenders..
Old 10-13-2010, 08:31 AM  

Lawrenceburg, KY
If you're going to cut them on the Jeep, you can measure the arc needed at the topmost suspension compression, measure what you think you need, then tape a piece of string to the hub and use it to trace a perfect arch to cut from. Or if you're going to make a straight cut up both sides, use this method to give you a good rounded arch at the top. If it's too curvy, use more string and attach it under the tire.

then again, if you're using flares, you can use carpet tape or double sided foam tape to temporarily attach the flare to the body and trace the cutout line per the manufacturer's directions.

If you use a sawzall, use a short metal blade. Remove the inner fender liner and double check to make sure you won't be cutting thru anything important, like electrical lines or brake lines.

Some guys will even go to the effort to cut the panel with an extra 1/4" to 1/2" and round the metal off with a body tool or even a hammer to remove the sharp edge left behind by the sawzall.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:23 PM  

roseville, oh
I use a small pnuematic angle grinder with 2.5" metal blade.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 PM  
Avast me hearties!

Spartanburg, SC
Just an idea for a little more clearance after the fender trimming. I have seen homemade 2 inch machined aluminum spring spacers.I'm not sure if there's enough front end alignment adjustment to make up for lift.There maybe some after market caster kits.Dropping the sway bar and panhard bar should be a matter of making shim packs and buying longer bolts.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:55 AM  

Lexington, Kentucky
I would probably try and go with a lift before cutting up my ride. I know it can be expensive but just take some time and save. Besides, you might have to sell it one day and it's going to be harder to sell a vehicle with alot of visual modifications.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:45 PM  

Mt. Vernon, Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_posc View Post
I would probably try and go with a lift before cutting up my ride. I know it can be expensive but just take some time and save. Besides, you might have to sell it one day and it's going to be harder to sell a vehicle with alot of visual modifications.
Quoted for truth:

I would look at a little suspension lift before I cut it up. A couple inches of suspension and a couple from a body lift and you have all kinds of clearance and it will look a ton better. I'm not one that usually sells my vehicle. I;m more the type to run the wheels off them but one never knows what they might have to do in a pinch. And the resale is a lot better with the lift kit(s).
Old 12-18-2010, 03:27 PM  

Kentucky
It looks as though you will have to take the corners off the bumpers, or maybe that goes without saying.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Bookmark this Page!