Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2010, 08:18 AM  

Louisville, KY
also, i think, though my memory sucks, his 2-row is like a $1.60 per pound.

the best thing though, is if i walk through the door with a style in mind, he'll work out a recipe with me in just a few minutes with a few questions on taste preferences.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:16 AM  

danville, kentucky
with my job if i do a ag brew i have to take off work. that costs me around $450-$500 of missed work to brew. i try to do my ag brews on days i was going to ake off anyway. i do alot of lme brews. not hme's. i like to pick and choose my own hops and hop schedule. i did one about two monthes ago that was a crazy mess. i'll look it up and post it on here.

here it is. this was a crazy adventure to do for sure!!! i had 4 pounds of extra light dme sitting on the shelf and two pounds of corn sugar. i started the water boiling and added the dme and corn sugar while the can of hme was sitting in a sink full of hot water.

i have alot of leaf and pellet hops on the brewing shelf as well so i desided to play some more. after i added the hme to the pot of boiling dme and corn sugar i added a oz of amarillo pellet hops, a oz of german hallertau pellet hops and a packet of finishing hops from a homebrewery wheat beer kit that i hadn't used when i made the wheat beer(that is why i have so much hops on hand. i like to use my own hops in brews,not thiers). i boiled it for about a hour then i added another packet of the wheat finishing hops and another packet of amarillo hops when i took it off the stove. after cooling the wort i put a oz of amarillo leaf hops in a steeping bag and dropped it in the fermenter. then i added the wort after it cooled and pitched the yeast(just the coopers yeast because i didn't what to use any of the good yeast in this crazy adventure i am having here!!).

i bottled this the day before thanksgiving. it is still sitting and i won't even think of opening a bottle till new years!!! it sat in the primary for 48 days before i bottled it. the 30 day primary has been working great for me so i don't think i will be changing it anytime soon. if i do it will be for 30 days in a secondary.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:10 AM  

Bastrop, Tx, Texas
How much do you guys pay for your grains up there in Kentucky ?
at AHB base grains are 2 row $1.20lb and bulk is 50# for $53.99
they also have 27.5# bag for $27.50 Canada 2row
Old 12-03-2010, 06:24 AM  

danville, kentucky
i order mine off the web. if i drove up to lousville it would double what i had to pay for it just because of the gas and how far away it is. the shipping and handling charges are cheaper for me than the gas to drive. i have a full size 1990 chevy blazer with 3.73 gears and a fuel injected 350 in it. it likes to eat alot.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:13 PM  

Louisville, KY
my buddy and i have been brewing almost 2 yrs now..we have kept it small. we have a dedicated turkey fryer for our boil and made our mash tun out of an old cooler we have made alot of batches with some good sucess for just us..only 2 things have not turned out and we just go on from there and learn from our mistakes. right now we have a belgium triple fermenting.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:25 AM  

I am currently working on a Nut Brown Ale that has a great biscuity type aroma. Lookin forward to that.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:58 AM  

danville, kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmongoose View Post
my buddy and i have been brewing almost 2 yrs now..we have kept it small. we have a dedicated turkey fryer for our boil and made our mash tun out of an old cooler we have made alot of batches with some good sucess for just us..only 2 things have not turned out and we just go on from there and learn from our mistakes. right now we have a belgium triple fermenting.
i traded some beers with a guy up north one time. we mailed them back and forth. he has the same set up you do. his beers always had a burnt plastic taste to them. i was trying to figure out if the plastic cooler had anything to do with it? is the mash tun hot when you put it in the cooler?

when i made my all grain beer i just used a large stew pot and a gas burner from my turkey frier. i never run it through a cooler or anything. i used a wort chiller to bring it back down to room tempature or water temp if you want to call it that.

i mainly do extract brews becuase of time restraints, but i have done several ag brews. i believe the only bad beers i have made were mr.beer brews!! man some of mr.beers stuff is good, but some is just plain out bad!!! i use liqiud ume and dme mainly. i have made several that called for corn sugar as well. i have one i used 4 pounds of dme and 2 pounds of sugar in. it is going to bottle condition till christmas day at least!!!! i bottled it the day before thanksgiving so i figure it might be about right on christmas day.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:44 PM  

Louisville, KY
we have done both extract and all grain...i prefer the all grain..just seems to have more control over what we are doing. i'll find recipes online or in magazines and try them..we will make our on a day off...starting around 8am we are normally done with everything by 1-2pm...we just know what each other is doing and works well for us.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:06 PM  

Lexington, Kentucky
I'm planning on doing a partigyle this weekend but have to make sure I'm going to have time. I have the room to brew the two at the same time. We'll see how the weekend pans out.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:01 PM  

Lexington, Kentucky
How much do you pay for grain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksiderods View Post
How much do you guys pay for your grains up there in Kentucky ?
at AHB base grains are 2 row $1.20lb and bulk is 50# for $53.99
they also have 27.5# bag for $27.50 Canada 2row
recently a friend of mine allowed me to go in with him and buy some bulk. I believe it came out to roughly $.65-.70 a lbs. Which is the reason I was able to justify it with my wife. Normaly around $1.00 - $1.50 a lb.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.