Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2010, 02:03 PM  

Lexington, Kentucky
We invented Bourbon. Lexington is the "Horse capital of the world". We have the historic Kentucky theater down town in Lexington. We're good folks (for the most part)
Where else can you find bluegrass? We dont have subways........

Old 12-17-2010, 05:31 PM  

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCinLA View Post
I would like to plan a tour of the U.S.A.
Would you help me decide where to go by giving us one good reason to visit your State.
Thanks
Well just off the top of my head, if you are going on a trip it is usually better than staying home. Now that's funny stuff right there.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:55 PM  

Kentucky
Oh, it just came to me Mammoth Cave, it is awesome, there are several caves that span several miles under the ground, I went a couple of years ago and loved it. Some places was huge under there and others were pretty close quarters, It is incredible. I might even say awe inspiring.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:44 PM  

southeast, Ohio
Mammoth Cave is spectacular. I took a tour there when I was a kid that lasted 8 hours all underground in one cave. There was a restaurant half way through the tour that was a long way underground. It's something everyone should see at least once in their life. It ranks right up there with Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, and all of the natural wonders of this nation. There's an old Native American legend that there is actually a cave that reaches all the way to Carter Caves in eastern Kentucky. I don't know about that but I do know that not all of Mammoth Cave has been explored. They continue to find new caves and connections between known caves to this day. Mammoth Cave is the longest known cave in the world and there is a lot of speculation that a connection will be found that will extend the length of the cave system to 500 miles. That is far in excess of any other cave system known. There is very little chance (as in none) that the old Indian legend is actually true but it has persisted for a very long time. There's a legend that talks about an early American military party that chased a group of Native Americans for 6 weeks underground starting from Bat Cave in Carter Co. ending up at Mammoth Cave. Of course there is zero evidence this happened but it's interesting anyway. Kentucky is world famous for it's caves. The extent of the known cave systems is staggering.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:46 AM  

Louisa, KY
Not sure if it has been mentioned or not but, if you're a drinker the Bourbon Trail is an interesting visit
Old 12-24-2010, 07:18 AM  

Louisville, Kentucky
Kentucky is like a hidden gem. I was born and raised in Portland, Oregon, then moved to Orlando, Florida. To be honest (no offense to anyone) when I found out that we were headed to Louisville, I was a bit bummed out. When people think of Kentucky, they imagine folks with 3 teeth, spitting chewing tobacco on the street, completely backwards with awful accents.

After moving here, I found all of that to be an inaccurate stereotype. People here are friendly, just generally all around good people. I love Kentucky now after living here for 4 years!

Come see us bro. We have fantastic bourbon (including bourbon tours), the Kentucky derby, beautiful rolling hillsides, friendly people, wonderful places to go for hikes, tons of outdoor activities. Check out the Highlands in Bardstown for a lot of really nice local restaurants, microbreweries, and shops. Kentucky is not the stereotype that most people think it is.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:45 AM  

southeast, Ohio
Quote:
When people think of Kentucky, they imagine folks with 3 teeth, spitting chewing tobacco on the street, completely backwards with awful accents.
Yes that's a common misconception. Even Sarah Palin (who get's bashed for being from a backward area herself) got in a few shots on her reality show. She was talking about eating brown bear with her father and both were saying how awful it was. Her dad said that a guy from Kentucky a "real hillbilly type" was the only one he had ever seen like it. He would eat the stuff that rose to the top when they were boiling bear skulls. I was a Palin supporter right up the point I saw that on her show. Now I wouldn't vote for her if you put a gun to my head. That kind of negative stereotype has hurt people from Kentucky for over a century since the New York papers decided the best way to keep immigrants from moving out of their city (more customers for them) was to create a horrible mythology about the people in the mountains. It started with the Hatfield McCoy feud coverage, which they blew all out of proportion. It was yellow journalism and they still do it.

It probably turned out good for us really because now we still have lots of beautiful country and no exploding population to move in next door to everyone. It has kept Kentucky a beautiful state IMO. Still if you move to a different state and try to get a job they look at you like you're Jethro Bodine.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:35 AM  

Chicago, Illinois
Beautiful Women

First week in May can't be beat in Louisville.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:57 PM  

danville, kentucky
again the bourbon trail. the sport crap is for losers who wish they could get laid. any old school man could do what these moronic kids do on a court and not ask for money to do it. the simple fact is 99.9% of the colored guys playing sports know they would be in the projects and asking for a check from the working man if it wasn't for them being able to play a game made for children. lord knows they sure won't work for a living.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:34 PM  

Jackson, ky
I know they have already been mentioned but there are some truly unique natural wonders in Kentucky, Natural Bridge and Mammoth cave come to mind.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads