Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2011, 12:08 AM  

One of the past few times I visited for a family reunion, I ducked out of the late night gathering and went riding around. I ended up finding my way to a blue grass festival being run out of, what was for lack of a better term, some guys back yard.

Being a fan of regional music, I enjoyed the festivities and met some intersting people that night.

The name on the hat that I bought was Bobcat alley bluegrass. Among some of the people that played that night, was J.D. Crowe.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:52 PM  

Well, lets not forget great college basketball in 3 schools. UK, U of L, and WKU. There is also the corvette plant if you are driving through. But the #1 reason should be horse racing. If you havent been to a race, you are really missing out.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:38 PM  

southeast, Ohio
Crowe is a Ky legend. Bluegrass is a genuine American folk art. It's a fantastic art form at that. And it did originate in the Bluegrass state.

I don't agree at all that horse racing is the #1 reason to visit KY. Only if you're a gambling junkie. I wouldn't rate it in the top 25.

The historic festivals and regional festivals, the mountains and the parks (which attract millions of tourists a year), the college basketball teams, bluegrass music, the arts centers like the Paramount in Ashland and the Mountain Arts Center in Prestonsburg, the historic sites like Boonesborough and Lincoln's birthplace and My Old Kentucky Home, etc. etc. etc. all rate above horse racing IMO. I used to live half a mile from Keeneland. It was drunks and gamblers screaming numbers and old jokers sharing useless tips on races. My boss was one of those guys. I never saw a single one of those tips pay off. Not my idea of fun at all.

BTW Cave Run is not a natural wonder. It's a man made wonder. It's a beautiful lake and has maybe the best muskie fishing in the world. If you've never fished for muskie you're really missing something. They fight like marlins. Take a look at this web page to see a little about fishing in Cave Run. The giant fish in the photo weighs almost 50 pounds. The muskie can run up to 100 pounds so you can imagine what you might hook onto. You'd be in for the fight of your life. Those fish are flat out amazing. They don't call them the "The Freshwater Shark" or "The Waterwolf" for no reason.

Here's a photo of the world record muskie caught by fishing at 69 pounds plus. I found this photo on this web page. Remember these fish aren't just big. They have teeth that are unbelievable and they fight like lunatics jumping out of the water and pulling like a jet ski. These are monster fish for fighting and if you don't watch out they'll take your hand off. Think again. This photo shows a 70 pound muskie and they can grow to be 100 pounds. They are a monster of a fish to catch with a rod and reel.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:58 AM  

The only one thing needed to know....The Bourbon trail tour.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:18 PM  

Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5mudman4x4 View Post
Well, lets not forget great college basketball in 3 schools. UK, U of L, and WKU. There is also the corvette plant if you are driving through. But the #1 reason should be horse racing. If you havent been to a race, you are really missing out.
WKU? What about EKU?

And basketball would be one of the very last reasons I'd return to Kentucky. Having said that, IMO, there isn't any ONE reason to visit in Kentucky. From the Appalachian and Cumberland Mountains through the Bluegrass Plateau and its horse farms to the Mississippi River, Kentucky is by far one of the most beautiful states in this Union. I've been through 38 of the 50 states and Kentucky comes in second only to Virginia for natural beauty; the balance tips in Virginia's favour for its history (and that I was raised there ).
Old 05-19-2011, 05:41 PM  
Palm Coast is the place t

Fish, boat ride, or do nothing at all.

Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley, and Land Between the Lakes
Old 05-20-2011, 12:03 AM  
Networking Memeber

Lexington, Kentucky
Bourbon Capital of the US
Horse Capital of the US
Uh, beautiful scenery!

I gave your 3 great reasons, just make sure to come at the right time!

Julie

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads