Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2010, 02:19 PM  

Lexington, Kentucky
Source for 5 gallon and 6 gallon buckets for home brewers

Hey everyone. Just a bit of info for those brewing on a budget like me. Walmart sells food grade 5 gallon buckets from their bakery for a dollar. They ship the frosting to them in it. Jimmy Johns has 6 gallon buckets that they get their pickles shipped in. Use a little baking soda and let it sit in there for a day and them fill them up with water and 2 cups bleach to get the smell out. Rinse them out several times with hot water and the smell of vinegar and dill should be gone. Just passing along what I have found. THey work great for primary and secondary.

Cheers!

Old 12-08-2010, 02:59 PM  

Lexington, Kentucky
BTW I use the 5 gallon buckets for secondary and the 6 gallons for primary. I have a better bottle I use too but the buckets fit better on my shelf. Just wanted to inform my fellow brewers.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:18 PM  

danville, kentucky
try not to put any scratches in the plastic buckets!! it will allow dirty things to get into the beer and will hurt it baddly!!!

i use 2 6.5 gallon buckets and my better bottles for fermenting.

i have also used lowes food grade buckets. they are $2.99 each for 5 gallon buckets. they used to have lids there and they were $.99 each. ace hardware has buckets and lids as well. they are higher than lowes but the bucket lid has a seal on it.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:58 PM  

Lexington, KY
Good info. Now if I can only get a pipeline going
Old 12-15-2010, 05:11 AM  

danville, kentucky
i live just south of danville. i'd be glad to have you over(if my pitbull agrees) for beer if you'd like. i make wheat beer mainly, but i have several others that match dogfish head easily!!! one is 9.5% and i just have it in liter bottles!!! my girlfriend hates it when i drink it!! i normally end up on the roof naked acting like a rooster after 9 or 10 of them!!!!!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Kentucky
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.