Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM  
FNG

Las Vegas, Nevada
The Las Vegas area Hiking thread!

Girlfriend and I have been getting into hiking now that the weather is getting nice. Already done a couple good hikes at Red Rock, including Turtle Peak, which is the hardest rated trail out there. Estimated at 4.5 hours. We made it to the peak in 1:45.

I know there are good trails on Mt. Charleston when the snow melts.

Any other favorite hikes? Scenic, hot springs, hidden treasures?

Old 02-15-2011, 06:37 PM  

Valley of Fire! Its more fun than anything... but one of my favorites.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:38 PM  

Also, GO down to the damn, theres a good 9 miler thats great. Hot springs involved, ladders and ropes all built into nature
Old 02-15-2011, 06:50 PM  

vegas, nv
up in wheelers pass/ cold creek there are a ton of places to explore. death valley isn't far away, perfect time of year there.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:32 AM  

Las Vegas, NV
If anyone wants to set up a Death Valley hike, my GF and I would be interested. The Desert Wranglers from MeetUp are doing an overnight camping trip down there next month that we are considering joining just for a day.

BTW, love the Valley of Fire too! Also, outside or Red Rock is Calico Basin if you want a short hike with some scrambling.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:52 PM  

Best hike in Red rock in my opinion is Mt. Wilson, its a bit of a toughie as only the first 1.5 miles or so are on official trail. Start at First creek trailhead off the highway and hike towards the canyon entrance. When you reach the entrance stay left of the creek and there is a nice trail heading in. Eventually you will be in the wash bed, further progress will be mostly scrambling / rock hopping / friction, weak ankles not advised. There are three points where you have to leave the wash to cut around some boulders blocking the main wash. Try not to stray to far from the was as it is extremely bushy out there. Stay to the right at all major canyon junctions, and eventually you will come to the head of the canyon where the sandstone layer hits the limestone layer by two tall pines, there is a good trail and cairns leading from here to the North and it will slowly bend West towards the highway and the summit of Mt. Wilson, the highest Sandstone summit in Red Rocks. Allow 8-10 hours depending on your condition, it can be bushy so wear long sleeves, seasonal water is in the canyon but largely stagnant so bring your own. If you're brave enough to attempt it you likely will have the whole hike to yourself.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads