Chiming in late on this one Mike, but here's my $0.02.
Stay at a hotel off the strip! So many great places that aren't in the midst of the mayhem. M Resort is a beautiful place, Red Rock is a favorite spot for locals to mingle, even downtown if you want to walk around and people watch. I recommend Golden Nugget. They've redone a couple towers there and the rooms are nice. Great value.
Also, check out the Las Vegas Weekly website
. It's one of the best publications out there to see what's going on every day. Some great local bands and events in there besides the standard fare of shows.
As Billy mentioned,
- Lake Mead and Hoover Dam are a 30 minute drive.
- Valley of Fire is about 40 minutes Northeast of the strip for great hiking, picnicking, sight seeing.
- Mt. Charleston is 40 minutes Northwest of the strip for the same (horseback riding up there too)
- Bonnie Springs is West of town and offers a quint Old West style day. Can do some horseback riding. Good little restaurant out there.
- Pink Jeep tours are popular here. I've never gone, as I just pack up a cooler in the back of my Jeep and make my own tour.
Good luck & Happy Anniversary!