Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Long Island
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2010, 05:36 PM  

Blue Point, New York
REPLY TO JCLEVERBREW two above:............................Whoah! There is ALWAYS time (and space) to brew......even if it is just the simplest no-boil kits and a plastic bucket.............if you can cook a meal in your kitchen...you can certainly brew in it! After your first brew, come back and let us know how it went!

Cheers!
_John

Old 12-29-2010, 07:41 AM  

Miller Place, NY
Brewed my AHS Boddington's Pub ale clone Monday evening and it's happily bubbling away. The bad part was, I broke my hydrometer while sanitizing it. I sprayed it with some Starsan and as I reached for a towel, it slipped out of my hand. I guess now I'll have to leave a little earlier for work and stop at Kedco to get another one. Last night I had a Mr. Beer High Country Canadian Draft and a St. Pat's stout/Creamy Brown. I brewed the HCCD 10/2, let it sit in the primary for three weeks and bottled 10/23. Blah... The St. Pat's brewed 9/17, bottled 10/8 also blah. Almost all my Mr. Beer kits had had the same kind of "off" taste - kind of bitter chocolate-y. I'm gonna try one more kit and not use the yeast that they provide. If they still have the same taste, maybe it's off to the schist can for Mr. Beer, or at least their kits. I can still use the little brown kegs to experiment.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:48 PM  

Elwood, NY
A few of my friends brew. I help em out but dont do it myself yet. Dont have to room for anythin like that right now.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:16 PM  

Rocky Point
I think my holiday ale with 2x the spices might be a bit much. Next time I will do 1.5x the spices. It's good, and I have gotten compliments, but the spices for me are a slight distraction.

Secondary: Winter IPA
Primary: Wheat (may put strawberries in secondary)
Primary: Friends IPA (with oak chips)
Next: AHS Amber
Old 01-05-2011, 05:07 PM  

Rocky Point
5 hours of today went to: bottling my AHS Winter IPA (tastes great), transferring a friends IPA to a secondary/dry hop, and transfer Wheat into the secondary with 3lbs of previously frozen Blue Berries. First problem experienced was that my party pig valve was cracked because I did not let the pressure out when I tried open it. So....Do I have enough bottles? yes with not one to spare (major PIA). Then I learned it's not a good idea to ram the berries through the plastic funnel with a butter knife (it just happened to be there and ez to sterilize). Total Carboys cleaned 5 and a bottling bucket.

Anybody got a good ideas for a spring beer?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:04 PM  

hampstead, nc
Karp's is also a great old fashioned hardware store. Creaky wooden floors. Tons of stuff and quality you can't find at HD or Lowes. It's probably one of the last ones.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:00 PM  

Long Island, NY
Only thing i make is wine.... Always wanted to try beer though
Old 01-15-2011, 06:52 AM  

Rocky Point
I think I am convinced not to spend the extra $5 on liquid yeast.

The pipeline:
Bottled: AHS Holiday Ale (may not make the weekend)
AHS Winter IPA
Secondary: Blueberry Wheat (may add an oz of Vanilla Extract), Friends IPA
Primary: AHS Irish Red

On Order: Heiniken Clone (to be lagared in my basement--for better or worse, Sam Adams Boston Ale Clone, and AHS Whitebeir (Spelling is off/one of their highest ranked beers.)
Old 01-16-2011, 04:04 PM  

Long Island, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by excaptn View Post
I am in Carle Place and just finished my second All Grain batch. I wish there was a LHBS in Nassau County. I order must of my supplies via Austins or Midwest Supplies.
Kedco is in Farmingdale. Not exactly Nassau but close enough. It's around the corner from Black Forest Brewery, FTW!

I've been brewing for two years now. In the process of building a Keezer. I actually found this site by mistakingly clicking a link from Homebrewtalk.com....go figure.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:07 AM  

Miller Place, NY
Well, sampled my Greenbelt Pale Ale the other day... really very good. I think I'm starting to become a hop head. Not too hoppy though. Went to the AHS website to try and see if they had a flavor profile for it. I wanted to see where the IBUs wound up. Bottled my AHS Winter Warmer Tuesday before I had to set out to talk with the wonderful folks at the Town Of Babylon court. I'll bottle the Boddington's Pub clone, hopefully this weekend.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Long Island
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads