Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Long Island
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2010, 07:17 AM  

Suffolk, NY
Things For kids to do on Long Island

So I was wondering what activities and past times everyone does with their kids on Long Island.

I have 2 young kids 3 and 1 1/2 years old.

I have taken them to LI Children's Museum, Game Farm, Atlantis Marine, etc. The 3 yr old has a bit more fun now, the 1 yr old still is a bit young. Just wondering if anyone else had some good suggestions. I am always looking for fun activities for them on weekends/days off.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:21 PM  

New York
I thought it would be awful, but Toy Story on ice didn't suck... actually I kinda liked it.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:49 PM  

Port Jefferson, New York
I loved the days when I fished in the LI Sound off the KP dock with my Dad
Old 12-21-2010, 02:00 PM  

Long Island, NY
Try doing some canoing or kayaking down Carman's River. May be a bit too much for a 1 1/2 yo but the 3 yo would probably love it. Bring some bread to feed the ducks.

I would recommend waiting until it gets a bit warmer though.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:45 AM  

New York
Fishing down on the south shore was a childhood favorite of mine. There's the air and space museum out in uniondale as well.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:22 PM  
AdironDoc

Nassau, NY
There's a puppet theater here in Hicksville that's a tradition. I remember going to a puppet show when I was a kid.

The Long Island Puppet Theatre & Museum
Old 12-30-2010, 11:57 AM  

Wading River, NY
I never really went anywhere with my kids. You want to bond and be respected? Work around the house together. Shovel that driveway TOGETHER, weed the garden and clean out the Leaves TOGETHER, Get out there today and wash the salt off the cars.
THAT'S being a family.
Parents should never be Cruise Directors and chauffers.

Your kids will learn Responsibility, Tolerance, and a work ethic. Not to mention if you maintain your own Posessions, the illegals wont have a job.
One of the memories that still come up around teh table. is when we all broke our butts ( as a family) to put in a fence around the yard.

Yes it can start at 3 years old and 1.5 years old.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:15 PM  
AdironDoc

Nassau, NY
I'm not sure of the current status of the aerospace museum in Mitchell Field, Nassau, but I took the kids there a few years back and had a great time. They had actually been there already with a school field trip but seemed to take great pleasure in showing me around. The Cold Spring Harbor whaling museum, Gregory Museum of rocks and gems in Hicksville are nice. Vanderbilt planetarium, Centerport, and Garvies Point, Glen Cove for history of Indian culture on Long Island also come to mind. In the fall, nothing beats pumpkin picking and hot cider on the east end. Get lost in the corn mazes found on the North Fork. So many great things, there's hardly time for them all!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 PM  

Long Island, NY
white post farms is great for kids... It's a bit cold right now, but when it warms up its a blast!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:09 PM  

Splish Splash and Riverhead Raceway in the summer and then pumpkin hunting and field maze in the fall on Sound Ave around the Riverhead area.

Or just take a ride along Sound Ave to Riverhead area and east of Riverhead when the weather gets better and stop at farm stands or pull in parking lots of vineyards to have a look around and then on to Greenport where there are a number of things to do including the Greenport Antique Carousel that all kids seem to just love.

Greenport Attractions - Lighthouses, Carousel, Train Rides, Cruises and Walking Tours

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Long Island
Bookmark this Page!