Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Los Angeles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2011, 02:39 PM  

CicLAvia anyone?

Sunday April 10 2001, the first cicLAvia of 2011. anyone going..

check it http://ciclavia.wordpress.com/

Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 AM  

Los Angeles, CA
I am going with some friends. We went to the one last year and it was great fun.

Rode *almost* the full course down and back. We came in through Chinatown so we didn't hit the leg east of Spring going to Boyle Heights.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:31 PM  

Los Angeles, CA
Just an update...I went as planned on the 10th and it was another great time. There were a bunch more people at this one than the one last October. There were a few things that were a bit sketchy...the traffic control didn't seem as good as it was for the last one. They had put up a bunch of blockades to funnel the bicycle traffic in some places, and it caused some huge jams when combined with the short cycle time on the traffic lights. You ended up having to wait several rotations to get across at some of the more crowded intersections, even though the cross traffic wasn't particularly heavy. They had officers directing traffic at those intersections, but they weren't really thinking about the traffic patterns and instead just seemed to be there to make sure nobody tried to bike in front of a moving car. Which is totally a good idea, of course, but I think there is room for improvement.

Also, they really need to nail down the "slower people keep right" thing. There were several near accidents from people randomly swerving around or stopping in the middle of the road. Although, I suppose that's pretty close to regular LA traffic anyway.

Other than those couple of nitpicks it was fantastically organized and there was a ton of great stuff going on that day connected to Ciclavia, other than just riding bikes around downtown. Lots of great food, art, and entertainment along the way, and many colorful people riding around saying and doing crazy stuff.

Altogether we rode somewhere around 25 miles, so it was a good day and lots of exercise.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Los Angeles
Bookmark this Page!