Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Los Angeles
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2010, 10:10 PM  

Bakersfield, Ca
Cq cq cq (Ham radio check-in)

Roll call for all area Hams.....

I am KC6WTA from Bakersfield, ca. I am a General, and I am in the process of putting radios into my 87 wrangler.

Any other hams on here?

Old 10-13-2010, 11:05 PM  

There are lots of hams on here, but can't tell you if there are any ham radio operators!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:27 AM  

Bakersfield, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
There are lots of hams on here, but can't tell you if there are any ham radio operators!
Case in point??
Old 10-21-2010, 09:26 PM  

Whittier, CA
I have a buddy who is big into ham radio. I started studying for my license but then decided I only wanted it for off roading and if I am the only one in my group with a ham radio when everyone else has a cb then it is not really worth it.

I still think about getting my license but just dont think I would use it much at all.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 PM  

I remember almost 50 years, my uncle was HRO. Since I have this strange thing about numbers, his call numbers were "KKX 5009". Are these numbers listed anywhere? He died in the late 60's, and would love to learn more.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:49 PM  

Castaic - Santa Clarita, Call-e-phone-ya
I'm a Ham located in the Valencia / Santa Clarita area.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:11 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I remember almost 50 years, my uncle was HRO. Since I have this strange thing about numbers, his call numbers were "KKX 5009". Are these numbers listed anywhere? He died in the late 60's, and would love to learn more.
That's a CB radio callsign.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 PM  

Thanks, I had no idea!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 AM  

Bakersfield, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwfxd View Post
I have a buddy who is big into ham radio. I started studying for my license but then decided I only wanted it for off roading and if I am the only one in my group with a ham radio when everyone else has a cb then it is not really worth it.

I still think about getting my license but just dont think I would use it much at all.
Keep in mind that with things like repeaters, echolink, IRLP, and HF a Ham can easily talk thousands of miles. A CB is good for MAYBE 5. You may be able to talk to other off roaders with a CB, but you better hope there is one within 5 miles or so that just happens to be listening on that channel.

I am an off road guy too; My ham radio has saved my keister more than once.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:01 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwfxd View Post

CB is cool and useful, and I see your point about not needing the Ham ticket for off roading. However, when you're stuck in traffic in the big city, having a VHF radio is great for real time traffic reports, etc. You'd only need the Technician license and that's a pretty easy test.

Party On!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Los Angeles
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.