Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Los Angeles
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2010, 02:21 AM  

Los Angeles, California
On saturdays its open until 9 PM and theres free parking after 5 PM. The exhibits inside are always changing, the architecture is worth seeing on its own. I highly suggest the guided tours of the grounds.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:56 AM  

Valencia, California
I forgot its free to get in right? I drive by it everyday and I have never been to it. I have heard about what is but I just might go and check it out.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 AM  

Valencia, California
Yes it is free, but you do have to pay for parking, unless you get there via public transportation or walk. Do yourself a favor and go sometime, it is truly spectacular.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:51 PM  

Chatsworth, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshacklett View Post
The best things about the Getty museum, in my opinion, are the architecture and the gardens. Both are pretty amazing.
If you live in LA it's pretty much a must see, unless you really hate museums. I agree the architecture especially is amazing, their art collection is also very good. I'm not an expert or anything but they have some Van Gogh, Monet among others. If you are going for first time there is a 10 minute intro movie you can watch, nice way to get started.

Van Gogh's 'Irises' is there, besides being a nice work it's one of the most expensive paintings ever sold-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irises_(painting)

Admission is free but parking is around $10 (?), they have a pretty cool tram that takes you from parking to the museum (you can see the tram track from the 405.)
Old 11-03-2010, 03:57 PM  

Los Angeles, California
Recommend visiting both Getty Museums

The "new" Getty on Mulholland off the 405 is a spectacular destination for architecture, gardens and city views. There are several galleries, some with permanent exhibitions from the collection and a couple feature special exhibitions, usually with related lecture and/or film series - if you find something on the schedule that turns you on, by all means GO! and make a day of it.

The "old" Getty is new again and I'll admit, I've not been since the restoration. That one, by the beach, is designed after an ancient Roman villa, including culinary and decorative gardens and houses most of the vast collection of antiquities gathered by the old man... many of which are surprising amusing.

For either location, you just need to reserve and pay for parking - $5, last time I went. Either of the museum complexes are "must-sees" for your out of town visitors.... and great mini-escapes for locals.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:58 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaK View Post
The "old" Getty is new again and I'll admit, I've not been since the restoration. That one, by the beach, is designed after an ancient Roman villa, including culinary and decorative gardens and houses most of the vast collection of antiquities gathered by the old man... many of which are surprising amusing.
I've seen one of Huell Howser's specials on the old Getty and really want to go there. Can you tell me roughly where it is at?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 PM  

Los Angeles, California
Getty Villa on PCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I've seen one of Huell Howser's specials on the old Getty and really want to go there. Can you tell me roughly where it is at?
I can tell you exactly where it's at: Visit the Getty

You do have to call and make parking reservations if you plan to park there - that's the only thing that prevents a totally spontaneous trip. But totally worth the planning.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:48 PM  

Nice...thank you.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 PM  

The Getty is fantastic, both of them. In both locations, I find that the location and the museum buildings themselves are as interesting as the art inside. Both very worth the time. Both are world-class museums.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:07 PM  
a4j

I haven't been to the old location since the new location opened up, but I love the architecture in the new location and really, that's the only reason why I go there anymore. We always take visiting family and friends to the Getty.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Los Angeles
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.