Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maine
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2010, 10:55 PM  

Bangor, Maine
Another nice hike I know of would be up Chick Hill in Clifton.

The Chick Hill road is on the left off from Rte 9 (if you are heading away from bangor/brewer.)

The access to it is actually called the Chick Hill Road and it is about a 5 minute drive past where Rte 9 and Rte 46 intersect at the Tradewinds fuel station and convenience store.

Follow the Chick Hill Road until you reach a parking lot-looking area (maybe 1 mile off rte 9?) Park there, the dirt road that goes up the hill is the trail. There is one intersection on the hiking trail where the road offers a right turn or straight option. Take the right turn and keep on trucking... you'll end up at the top of Chick Hill. I'd guess the whole trail is about a mile to a mile and a half. Give or take.

I'd rank this trail probably as a 3. There are some steeper sections and some places with loose granite rocks, but it is passable by 4wd vehicle and a conscientious driver.

I know when we go up in the Jeeps, we pass a lot of folks hiking it or walking with dogs. Most folks are very friendly.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:32 PM  

Augusta, ME
One of my favorites, which I do with the family a few times per summer is Tumbledown Mountain. It is part of the Mt. Blue state park in Weld. There are a number of trails of varying difficulty (the brook trail is very family friendly, and good exercise to boot). There is a pond, with good trout fishing, at the top. A really cool place to hike up, have lunch, enjoy the views and head back down. I highly reccommend!

Old 12-28-2010, 06:50 PM  
nik

I would have to say Gulf Hagas, It is approximately 8 miles round trip there are a number of of trail stops looking over small water falls, deffinately a must see in maine!!!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:19 PM  

there are a lot of good trails in maine it all depends on what kind of hiking you like to do
Old 01-05-2011, 07:18 PM  

Massachusetts
Looking for a good spot in southern Maine to see moose. My girlfriend has never seen one.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 PM  

Bangor, Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle21
Looking for a good spot in southern Maine to see moose. My girlfriend has never seen one.
In southern maine? Probably in a book at your local library. Hehe.

That's like saying you want to know where in boston you can find a mountain lion. ;-)

Go north a bit. You're probably going to need to either go into the western mountains or up toward
millinocket for the best chance.

Ultimately, just go to a zoo... Finding moose in the wild is more of a treat and surprise than something you set out to do.... Often you find them in front of you on the highway and you get to see then REAL close... Most likely that moose is gonna be the last thing you ever see.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:45 AM  

Is that close being on the AT. Those pics are beautiful. Looks alot different than the Smokies.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:23 PM  

Vassalboro, Maine
Mount Pisgah in Winthrop with a 60 foot fire tower at the summit, can be steep

The Kennebec Land Trust has purchased many acres around and on the mountain to keep it open for recreation, but off limits to 4x4's.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:48 PM  

My wife and I hiked Gulf Hagas last summer. It was an awesome hike. Especially when you can stop along the way and take a dip under a waterfall.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:56 AM  

Dresden, ME
Best hiking hands down is Katahdin... up from Roaring Brook to Chimney Pond, then Cathedral Trail to the summit, across the Knife Edge, and back down either to Chimney Pond or out to Roaring Brook on the Helon Taylor Trail.

Although, if you're talking distance hikes... the 100-mile Wilderness on the AT from Monson to Katahdin is awesome.

As for shorter hikes for just an afternoon... the Moosehead Lake region is filled with them. Big Moose/Squaw Mountain is a nice 2.5 mile hike, also Little Moose from the same access point. Eagle Rock can be harder to find the trailhead, but well worth the hike. Kineo requires either a boat or to take the shuttle from the dock in Rockwood, but a good hike with a great view. Up the east side of the lake there are several hikes worth the trip, Number Four, Number Five, Borestone, Gulf Hagas, and if you really want to get remote, make the 2 hour drive on logging roads up to Allagash Lake to hike Allagash Mountain (if you portage the last mile in to the lake with a canoe, you can even check out the Ice Caves).

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maine
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads