Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maine
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2010, 04:01 PM  

Waterville, ME
Jeep 4x4 trail locations in Maine

I'd like this thread to be a list of places that allow Jeeps to 4x4 in Maine. Please post any locations that you know of and a difficulty rating for them. I'm just getting into it, so I don't have any that I know of yet.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:21 AM  

Bangor, Maine
There aren't very many in the Waterville area unfortunately.

There are lots in the Bangor area and in points south (allwheels being the most notable)

I suggest joining a club to gain access to more trails.

I wheel with these guys regularly
Penobscot Valley 4-Wheel Drive

Old 10-18-2010, 05:49 PM  

Tulsa, Oklahoma
4x4 Trails

Wow.... great thread!

Okay, my wife and I belong to the National Hummer Club and would love to find areas in Maine that we can organize a trip with the club. The Hummer Club :: The National Hummer Organization

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:48 AM  

Windham, ME
If you go north a couple hours, you will get into the Bingham/Forks/Jackman areas. While not official "trails", there are hundreds of miles of logging roads to ride on. Just stay away from active logging operations, follow directions on any signs (ie. Keep Out), and realize that on main logging roads, trucks have the right of way at all times.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:46 AM  

Lewiston, Maine
The biggest problem in the state is land access. There is almost no public land to wheel (like NH for instance, who has class 6 roads open to the public). I'd say 90% of the land up here is posted and therefore can't be wheeled. My club, The Maine 4x4 Club, works with land owners to gain access to private land. We have a couple pieces that we use now, and in exchange, keep the trails cleaned, trimmed, report any issues to LO's, etc. It's really the only way to wheel in the state.

Allwheels in Lewiston is private land open for the public for a small donation (10 bucks a day). It's 400+ acres and has primitive camp sites (no toilets). There's just about any type of terrain you could think of. Anything from stock vehicles to huge rocks. If anyone is interested, I'm about 10 mins from there and frequent there a lot. If you want a tour or just want to ride around with someone, I'm game pretty much whenever.

Also, feel free to register on Maine 4x4 Club - THE source for all things offroad in Maine and ask any questions you can think of.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:21 PM  

Bangor, Maine
As CheapJ mentioned, maine is 96% privately owned land.

A lot of renegade wheelers and individuals with poor ethics abuse the trust of many land owners here in Maine. Personally, I've been involved with a few clean ups (and I know CheapJ has been as well and can definitely second this.) It is absolutely absurd what is dumped only feet away from a major highway at the entrance to a trail or trail system on a privately owned plot of land.

We've pulled everything from tires and TV's to Hot Tubs and entire bathrooms (walls, sinks, toilets, tubs, fixtures, lights, drywall, greenboard, tiles... yes, entire bathrooms) white goods, literal PILES of lead bullets... you name it, I've probably picked it up and thrown it into the back of a city truck to be taken to a transfer station or stuffed it into a trash bag for removal and proper disposal.

Another huge issue is mudding. There's a few places in the state where clay-lined strips are prepared and filled with slop. Trucks run 'em and it's a great time for everyone.... annnd just about everywhere else that there is a dirt road or a private land-owner's access road... the renegades and irresponsible individuals think it's fun/cool/acceptable to make their own mud run. Roads get annihilated, washouts become severe, to the point of making the road impassable by all but the most heavily modified trailer queen rigs (not the small pickup owned by the property owner that needs access to the back areas of their property) the runoff pollutes local bodies of water, invasive species are spread, endangered species are either chased out of their natural habitat or are affected by the severe shock to the local environment... The effects to the local area are absolutely tragic... simply because a naive individual or group of individuals choose to go have fun.

Joining a responsible local OHV organization is truly the only way I have learned of to enjoy the sport of off-roading in such a way that significantly reduces and limits the impact of such activities on the land. I know there are several TreadLightly! Trainers that are members of Maine 4X4 and Midcoast. I myself am the Vice-Pres. of Penobscot Valley 4-Wheel Drive and can state that all of our staff members are TL! Trainers. All of us (the trainers) have direct lines of communication with Steve Salisbury and Keven Cavanaugh, the two TreadLightly! Master Trainers for the State of Maine. As part of holding our Trainer certification, we constantly 'beat the drum' about responsible OHV activities and ethics.

Whew... ok... Finally got that all out. Feels good.

Now to make my own addition to the thread regarding trails!...

NO. I will not share with you our wheeling spots.

"What a punk", you say to yourself! "I just read through all of this Jerk's crap, only to learn he's not going to say a damn thing about trails!"

Well, you're right. Why? Because I don't want YOU to go out and ruin it for ME and all of my friends. If you are interested in OHV activities here in Maine, join an organization that knows legitimate areas to recreate. Join an organization that is trained in how to properly respect the land we have all grown up loving, moved here because we love or visit here because we want to learn to love it more.

I'm sorry to take such a strong-arm approach to this, and if the shoe was on the other foot (as it was for me about two years ago!) I'd be ticked off! I wanna know where I can go wheel! Well join a club. Get involved. Spend a Saturday up to your elbows cleaning up shingles, used baby's diapers, used kitty litter or covered in mud rebuilding a road to learn the reason why WE don't want YOU to know where we wheel.

OR

There's the alternative of visiting Rocky Mountain Terrain Park (RMTP: Maine's Premier Off Road Terrain Park) or All Wheels (Don Arel (HOME IS WHERE THE MUD IS) on Myspace) There is a small fee to get in and camp or wheel. The owner of the respective properties will brief you on the rules of the land when you get there and then either offer a guided tour or set you free on your own.

As for clubs, there's:
Maine 4x4 (www.maine4x4.org)
Penobscot Valley 4-Wheel Drive (www.pv4wd.com)
Midcoast Jeep N ORV (www.midcoast.org)
Western Maine Mountain Jeepers (www.jeepmaine.com)

I'm sure there's a few others that I'm forgetting. All of the clubs I listed here have members who are TreadLightly! Trainers and/or members and are responsible organizations that believe in proper OHV ethics and responsible outdoor recreating. I will personally vouch for and back them up on their actions as I know they know their stuff. I actually went to the training class with a few of them and know some of the others personally!

If anyone is interested in being part of a TreadLightly! training class, contact myself or CheapJ, on this site or speak with the administrators on any of the listed sites and we can get you in touch with the right people to have a training class in your area.

As with most all Mainers... we stick together to protect our home and what is ours.... but if you are open with us about your intentions and let us guide you in the right direction, you'll find some very fast and loyal friends. For the folks who are "From Away", we know you love to visit, but remember... after you go home, we're still here cleaning up the messes you leave. Please respect our land and let us give you a tour, don't just let yourself in and go rummaging through our home!
Old 12-15-2010, 03:24 PM  

hanson, ma
there is All Wheels ORV park in lewiston,ME however I dont know much about it
Old 12-15-2010, 07:11 PM  
gone jeepin'

West paris, Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9bogdog09 View Post
there is All Wheels ORV park in lewiston,ME however I dont know much about it

i would like to know more about this because i was born and raised near lewiston and never heard of this place i do a good amount of wheeling through oxford county.scale 1-10 ratings Canton ME: meadowview*2
Canton ME: Forest pond *5 Turner ME Bear Mountain, *7 Gilead ME Power lines *5. but you guys are definitly right. aaaaaaaaaalot of land has been closed but mainly( from where im from in canton) trails have been closed due to bone heads who go and tear it up and ruin it for everybody
Old 12-16-2010, 01:00 PM  

Lewiston, Maine
AllWheels is 400+ acres of private land with many trails, all different terrains. It's at 50 Old Farm Rd on outer College Ave. It's 10 bucks for the day. There's primitive camping sites.

As for those other places you mentioned, I know most of them are private land. Some I have worked with landowners to get permission to wheel. Power lines are always illegal.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but just be careful where you wheel. It's a PITA to find out who owns land and get permission, but it's the only way to keep land open for us to use.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:00 PM  

Bangor, Maine
Yeah... Power lines in maine are 100% illegal for ohv. Its a $500 fine... And they are spotting with helicopters and game cameras. You have no idea you were caught until you get the fine in the mail with a pix of your rig and it's plate.

Joining a club is by far the best way to do it right... Our just go to all wheels or rmtp

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maine
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads