Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maryland
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2011, 08:01 PM  

Lansdale, PA
Gun Laws: Maryland

I'm moving to MD this year so I'm collecting information for gun ownership in Maryland. I wanted to consolidate it into one thread.

I've only started my research but I wanted to have a place to store my findings for others. Here are a few topics I think will be useful for future/present Maryland gun owners.

Conceal Carry: Unless you are a police office, you basically must have a death threat against you.

Inside The Home Ownership: TBD

On Your Property Ownership/Carrying: TBD (i.e. carrying a gun outside for a smoke/cig, mowing your lawn, etc.)

Carrying in your vehicle: TBD (for transit without a conceal carry permit)

I'd like to hear anyone's input on this topic & any topics to add.

I will edit this leading post with further information and try to keep it up to date

PS. This information is for reference only. For legal reference, contact the proper authorities.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:52 PM  

Westminster, Maryland
Concealed carry is hard to get, but can be gotten for certain circumstances and jobs.

You can own weapons and keep them in your home.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:26 PM  

Crofton, Maryland
Good Luck getting a CCP. My dad was a jail guard and had to get 5 death threats before he was able to get one. Now he's a cop and doesnt have to worry about it.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:22 PM  

Clarksburg, MD
The People's Republic of Maryland welcomes you. Please understand that it is illegal to defend yourself, that is the responsibility of the "authorities" that will be five-ten minutes away after you call. In cases of rape, women should just hope the rapist is using a condom, the police will be there as soon as he is finished and if he doesn't kill you, please notify the authorities. In cases of robbery and home invasion, you can hope the criminals are following the law and only possess weapons that have the legal size magazines and have legally registered their illegal weapons and have legally submitted the empty casings for their illegal weapons to the overworked state bureaucrats to keep on file so the coroner can match the bullets after he digs them out of the bodies.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:12 PM  

Baltimore, Maryland
MD gun laws suck man. I wish i could carry. There is a lawsuit against MD right now. Go to MDshooters.com
Old 01-23-2011, 09:21 AM  
Simmah Dahn Nah

Grason-Vegas, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06cdrmike View Post
The People's Republic of Maryland welcomes you. Please understand that it is illegal to defend yourself, that is the responsibility of the "authorities" that will be five-ten minutes away after you call. In cases of rape, women should just hope the rapist is using a condom, the police will be there as soon as he is finished and if he doesn't kill you, please notify the authorities. In cases of robbery and home invasion, you can hope the criminals are following the law and only possess weapons that have the legal size magazines and have legally registered their illegal weapons and have legally submitted the empty casings for their illegal weapons to the overworked state bureaucrats to keep on file so the coroner can match the bullets after he digs them out of the bodies.
QFT!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:54 AM  

Maryland, Maryland
Maryland really sucks for gun laws. waiting periods and registration for hand guns and "assault rifles"....not to mention certain restrictions on 30rd magazines. (can't ship, sell or buy them here, but you are allowed to possess them - stupid right?)
Old 02-03-2011, 11:07 AM  

Lansdale, PA
Update

As I'm not able to edit my leading post right now, I'll make my updates here:

Maryland Law Section 4-203 will answer most questions regarding carrying handguns.

Conceal Carry: Unless you are a police office, you basically must have a death threat against you.

Inside The Home Ownership: According to MD Law 4-203(b)(6), Maryland law does not prohibit:

Quote:
(6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;
On Your Property Ownership/Carrying (i.e. carrying a gun outside for a smoke/cig, mowing your lawn, etc.): See above (Section 4-203(b)(6)).

Carrying in your vehicle: Again MD law 4-203(b) has your answers.

For carrying to/from purchase, gunsmith, business/residence(s), it is not prohibited:

Quote:
(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
For carrying to/from the firing range, it is not prohibited:

Quote:
(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
Just make sure it is unloaded and in an enclosed case.

Note: This information is for reference only. For legal reference, contact the proper authorities.

I'm still looking in the definition of 'enclosed case' but I've answered most of my questions. I'm going to try to keep this update as I dive further into gun ownership in MD.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:28 PM  

Silver Spring, Maryland
I had it great when I lived in Virginia, the laws were more reasonable; I can't wait to move back.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maryland
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.