Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maryland
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2010, 09:27 PM  

Perryville, Maryland
Green Ridge Trail in Western MD is nice. you can take jeeps, quads, and dirt bikes... a lot of my friends go there

Old 10-08-2010, 10:41 AM  
mhierstetter

Cumberland, Maryland
Green Ridge is nice, but easy. You wont tear up that much if you are careful.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:59 PM  

Frederick, MD
I've been up to Greenridge a few times and always enjoy it. Nice scenic views too :-)
Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 PM  

mechanicsville, maryland
Green ridge is fun and easy. I'm thinking of planing a trip out to gwnf befor it gets to cold or maby early spring
Old 10-09-2010, 08:58 AM  

Leonardtown, Maryland
Down in SoMD, the local club is found at the following link. HardRock Crawlers of Southern Maryland
I'm not a member yet but know a few and there good people.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:38 PM  

Crofton, Maryland
Raush Creek had an event this weekend. i think they have another on the weekend of the 23rd?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:26 PM  

Middletown, DE
They have events all the time... I know the Maryland Jeep Club just had an event on the 10th, and has another scheduled on the 16th.. There is also a race going on @ RC this weekend as well.. I just wish I was stateside to hit these up.... I think I will end up hitting RC as it is just about as far from where I live as any other alternative..
Old 10-14-2010, 01:09 PM  

Silver Spring, Md
Ive heard Assateague is the place to be. Also great camping out there if that is your thing.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:19 PM  
Simmah Dahn Nah

Grason-Vegas, Maryland
Here's a list I try and update as often as possible.

Don't mind the preachy soapbox.

There are not any local legal wheeling areas.

Bloody Ponds in Glen Burnie, Yellowgates in Crofton, Coca Cola Drive off Rt 100, and the old Land Rover Test Track in Upper Marlboro all are illegal and off limits. Even Trails Rd was nearly closed when locals put up a gate to block access except for locals. The issue is that people (predominately not jeepers, use these places for illegal dumping of trash. Bloody Ponds and Yellowgates were used as dumping areas for stolen cars from Baltimore City. Coca Cola drive is acually owned by two separate entities: CSX Railroad and Howard County; that property is currently in development. The Land Rover test course was closed back in 1997 when they built their own course down off MLK Blvd in Lanham. All I can ask is that the discussion does not come into this thread about going to or using any of these areas. If you feel the need to go that bad, please keep it to PM's. We have a good thread going here, don't muck it up now with talk about going to these places anyway.

That being said, here's the post I end up putting up about twice a month. If you are wheeling on "the stream by the bent tree with a beer can in it," then it is more than likely Private Property. If you do not have expressed written permission to be on said bent tree beer can stream, then you are trespassing.

If you want to wheel, support the sport, visit an offroad park today.

Here's a list that has been put together over the last 15 years or so:

MARYLAND

Assateague Island, Worcester County, MD
National Park Service - Requested Page Not Found (404) (U.S. National Park Service)
Yearly permit required ($70). The area consists of 12 miles of sand beach within Maryland and additional beach South into Virginia. It should be stressed that this is nothing more than flat sand.

Green Ridge State Forest, Allegany County, MD
Welcome to the DNR Forest Service - Green Ridge State Forest home page
Green Ridge State Forest offers an 18-mile loop trail located on East Valley and Stafford Roads for off-road vehicles. It should be noted that this trail is a non-technical fire road.

PENNSYLVANIA

Rausch Creek Offroad Park - Joliett, PA (in the area of Tower City & Tremont)
Rausch Creek Off Road Park
A yearly membership fee of $10 is required. This membership fee applies to all drivers and all passengers. Once you are a member, the price to wheel at the park is $35 per day, per vehicle, and $5 per day for passengers. Rausch Creek offers over 1000 acres of terrain for wheeling. Trails range from stock through highly technical.

Rock Run Recreation Area - Western Pa
Western PA 4x4 Trail Advisory Committee :: Index
On site primitive camping will be available for those instances.

The members of the Advisory Committee will be coordinating all trail rides; please do not contact the park for OHV information (they will direct you back to us). The WPA4XTRAC will provide trail guides. Trail rides are limited to 40 participants. Pre-registration for all events is required.

We will offer three trail rides each day: green/low blue, blue/low black, and upper black. We do not have a red trail rating, but we certainly have trails that would garner a red rating at other parks. The trails were cut with smaller SUVs in mind (such as Jeep Grand Cherokees). Full size vehicles will find the trails to be very tight. Suggested equipment is as follows:
Green/low blue: stock vehicles and those with a mild lift (15 vehicles per trailride)
Blue/low black: 33? tires and at least one locker (10 vehicles per trailride). Potential for body and drivetrain damage.
Upper Black: 35? tires(minimum requirement), two lockers, and winch. Body and drivetrain damage are very possible. (15 vehicles per trailride)
To register for one of our trail rides, please include your name, address, phone number, trail selection, club (if applicable) and general vehicle specifics to dan58@marylandcreepers.com. The cost is $25/day plus $5 for passengers. Primitive camping is $10, and you must notify us 1-week prior to camping. Staging for trailrides begins at 0900, with a short drivers? meeting following.

VIRGINIA

George Washington National Forest - Harrisonburg, VA
George/recreation/ohv/index.shtml
George Washington National Forest (GWNF) offers miles of offroad vehicle travel on its forest service roads. These roads are largely non-technical fire roads however they offer wonderful weekend camping activities.

Crozet - Crozet, VA
http://www.xjsrule.com
Run by Chris and Heather Packard, the site of the Virginia RockCrawling and Offroad Challenge is opened periodically throughout the year for opening wheeling. The trails range from technical to highly technical.

Big Dogs Offroad - Gore, VA
Home
A fee of $75 applies for 3 days or $65 for 2 days. The area is open 4 times a year for seasonal wheeling events. The trails range from technical to highly technical.

Other Notable Areas

Wharton State Forest- Pine Barrens, New Jersey
Department of Environmental Protection
Flat, sand, water, mud.

Uwharrie National Forest - Troy, NC
Uwharrie Off
A fee of $5 per day or $30 per year applies. Individual trails vary in length from 1.2 miles to 3.4 miles, but the ORV area networks the trails that they may be connected in series of un-recrossed lengths of up to about 20 miles. Trails range from stock to highly technical.

[/off soap box]
Old 10-14-2010, 04:34 PM  

Silver Spring, Maryland
I was at Assateague Island this summer, very pretty but very boring.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Maryland
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.