Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Miami
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2010, 05:31 PM  

Hartford, CT
Living in the Florida Keys

Anyone live in the Keys? Been considering for a long time getting down that way and seeing what happens. I would love to work on a charter boat bringing people out fishing or something along those lines-any stories or advice? The cost of living down there seems insane, and I'm assuming getting a decent paying job isn't a cake walk?

Old 10-25-2010, 08:37 AM  

West Palm Beach, Fl
It's not all it's cracked up to be in my opinion... especially Key West. The farther North you go, the better it gets. It's fun to go camping, but there are TONS of fishing/diving charters down there already. I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to get a cheap paying job.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:26 PM  

Tustin, CA
Can't say about now a days, but 25 years ago I worked on diving boat for about a year - some GREAT memories! Lots of hard work, but LOTS of fun!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 PM  

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I agree with Robertwsimpson. He pretty much summed it up in a nut shell, accurately.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:09 PM  

WA
Seems like the further south of Marathon you get the nuttier things become
Old 01-19-2011, 09:55 PM  

Orlando, Florida
I'd definitely stay north of Key West. My aunt lived there for a while and the cost of living was insane just because it was Key West. The keys further north tend to be a little quieter and less touristy.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:20 AM  

homestead, florida
yesterday i heard that the county plans on tolling us1 in the keys. three tolls total.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:28 PM  

Tavernier, Florida
I live in tavernier and these charters are just itching for business sometomes but its all about being a good business man and good fisherman, not one or the other but it seems nice down here as long as your not struggling and have a great job.like they all said it is pricey the farther you go.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:23 AM  

Pompano Beach, FL
I heard one of the biggest problems for employers is getting people to show up for work. Laid back lifestyle takes on a whole new meaning in the keys. I asked one shop owner in Key West if they were hiring. He said that if I could show up for work five days a week, I had a job.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:21 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowrfst View Post
I heard one of the biggest problems for employers is getting people to show up for work. Laid back lifestyle takes on a whole new meaning in the keys. I asked one shop owner in Key West if they were hiring. He said that if I could show up for work five days a week, I had a job.
Makes me wish I had gone to look for work in the keys when I was in college! LOL

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Miami
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads