Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Michigan
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2010, 10:11 AM  
Brewer

Monroe, MI
I camp in Angola, IN - which from Detroit is only a 2 hour drive. There's a store there called Gay's that carries a big selection of Three Floyd's beer. Definitely worth the trip for the beer alone!! But the campground I stay at is Camp Sack In - way more wooded than most campgrounds, and I usually always have homebrew.. hit me up if you visit next year, I'll share some with ya!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:12 AM  
Geoff

Royal Oak, Michigan
Here's a good guide to camping in Michigan:
Michigan Campgrounds & Camping Directory - Pure Michigan Travel

And here's one specifically for National Parks in the state:
Michigan

I'm a big fan of anything on Lake Michigan, though the biggies like Sleeping Dunes can get pretty crowded on prime weekends in the summer. You'll score well if you go early in the season (say, April) or late (October).

Old 12-20-2010, 07:11 PM  

Channahon, IL
Definitely gotta go to the UP for the best camping...but if you want something nice that's not that far / crowded, I've always been a fan of higgins lake
Old 12-21-2010, 03:22 PM  

Hartford, Michigan
Last time I went camping, we went to Maninstee State Park near Baldwin.

Great camping spot we had, unfortunately, the weather was horrible.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:10 PM  

You never did say which two that you do visit.
Personally I like Albert E. Sleeper in da Thumb (between Caseville and Port Austin)
Old 12-27-2010, 09:27 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosk View Post
If you are into camping/backpacking you need to check out the Manitou Islands. To get to them you take an hour long ferry from Leland, MI. There are two islands, north and south Manitous. On the north island you can roam and camp freely, whereas on the south you can only camp in designated areas. So basically if you are looking for more of a "family" camping experience go with the South Island, if you can rough it and are a bit more adventurous go with the North Island.
I have always wanted to do this trip. I should have gone when I was younger beacuse it does sound like a nice trip now, it sounded a whole lot better when I was younger.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronprice View Post
Sleepy Hollow Just north of Lansing is NICE.
Agreed-this is a nice campground.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:31 AM  

Traverse City, Michigan
Have you every been to the Jorden river valley? It's very nice and the North country Trail runs right through the middle. You can also mountain bike there as well.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:36 AM  

Traverse City, Michigan
I live in Traverse City and I can agree that the Manitou Islands are great. But it is a hassle to get on the ferry and have to go on their schedule and have a detailed camping plan and you need to stick to it. There are better places.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:35 AM  

Take another hour and c'mon over to South Haven, The State park is beautiful we Have Dunes and Beaches and the town is small enough to walk from the far end to the end of the pier in less than 1/2 hour. there is a new kayak trail that is 8.5 miles of slow river with plenty of bends and twists to keep you busy without bein fast or dangerous. only problem with SH is you might want to move here..

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Michigan
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.