Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Michigan
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2011, 05:57 PM  

Our governer's budget plan

So it seems we're re-visiting the woes of the last governer's term. The latest budget has a cut of $400 per student from the education budget. And I'm sure this will be just an average across the board. Our rural schools will have to shave even closer while the "inner city" schools full of students with parents who don't give a $hat what their kids are doing will continue to reap the benefits. When are we going to stand up for our families?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:23 PM  
Traveler

Everyones too busy watching dancing with the stars It really is a shame!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:08 PM  
Community Active

Florence, OR
Ask yourself why it costs so much to educate our kids. Do you really think that a multi-million dollar campus is more or less conducive to learning. Does anyone think that a student from rural Oregon gets less of a education than one from urban Michigan? I used to tell my kids, "The world needs ditch diggers, too" every time they didn't want to do their homework. Motivation starts at home and if parents aren't involved, the rest of us don't have enough money to make their kids smart!

It's the "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him Drink" thing. If children aren't given incentives to learn, it doesn't matter how much money is spent.

I agree with music here, parents are to busy watching dancing with the stars, survivor, the amazing race, etc. to tend to their responsibility of parenting their children.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Ask yourself why it costs so much to educate our kids. Do you really think that a multi-million dollar campus is more or less conducive to learning. Does anyone think that a student from rural Oregon gets less of a education than one from urban Michigan? I used to tell my kids, "The world needs ditch diggers, too" every time they didn't want to do their homework. Motivation starts at home and if parents aren't involved, the rest of us don't have enough money to make their kids smart!

It's the "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him Drink" thing. If children aren't given incentives to learn, it doesn't matter how much money is spent.

I agree with music here, parents are to busy watching dancing with the stars, survivor, the amazing race, etc. to tend to their responsibility of parenting their children.
...........Well, I didn't want to come out and say it, but you covered for me! Thanks. I also think that good teachers should be rewarded, and teachers that suck, should be in other fields of work. But far and away, it comes down to the parents NOT being part of the discussion, and the whole, some parents should never have kids thing and.............
Old 02-26-2011, 12:22 PM  

St. Clair Shores, MI
I really hope the movie incentive doesn't get cut. i don't think people see the big picture(no pun intended)

First the little money the state will make from the production companies will disappear. but the parts that is over looked are...

1.) hotel rooms from the crews, actors, production teams
2.) food to feed all these people
3.) rental equipment to build sets
4.) supplies to build sets
5.) taxes from all the workers doing these jobs
6.) gas taxes for all the extra shipping of these items and driving of workers
7.) exposure of the state
8.) new home purchases of people working any new series that will be filled here

i could go on and on. Most people look at the "oh we only got 40 million of a $100 million in potential taxes from the movie. but when you add all the unaccountables into the mix. it's a heck of a lot more than not having a movie to begin with.

John
(out of the movie business now that the Automotive business picked back up.)

I LOVE THE MITTEN STATE!!
Old 02-26-2011, 01:28 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
My father had an 8th grade education and my mother had High School behind her. I could read at a 4th grade level by age 4. I'd loved having stories read to me so it was natural to want to read them myself.
I think kids need exposure to future possibilities. My friend's 15 year old daughter is fascinated by the oceans so I send her links to marine biology and pictures of creatures from the depths. Kids need to see real possibilities in careers so they have motivation to do the necessary work to obtain such careers.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Michigan
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.