Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis / St Paul
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2010, 03:26 PM  

St. Paul, MN
Best bar for craft brew?

What are your suggestions for a great bar with an excellent craft brew selection?

I know of a few places, my favorite right now being the Hangar Room in Mahtomedi (actually, Willernie, I think, but I'm not sure). I like the Bulldog, the Happy Gnome, and the Muddy Pig, too, but there have to be some decent places in the suburbs, too, right?

Here are some criteria to use:
1) Variety of beer selection (definitely the most important factor)
2) Tasty vittles
3) Do they brew their own?
4) Any sort of frequent flier club? (I'm thinking something like Old Chicago's World Beer Tour)
5) Price
6) Location
7) Anything else relevant

Old 11-22-2010, 03:39 PM  

Bloomington, MN
Williams Pub in uptown has the biggest selection that I know of. I prefer some of the micro brewpubs in town. My favorites are Town Hall in and Great Waters.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:58 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglarson13 View Post
What are your suggestions for a great bar with an excellent craft brew selection?

I know of a few places, my favorite right now being the Hangar Room in Mahtomedi (actually, Willernie, I think, but I'm not sure). I like the Bulldog, the Happy Gnome, and the Muddy Pig, too, but there have to be some decent places in the suburbs, too, right?

Here are some criteria to use:
1) Variety of beer selection (definitely the most important factor)
2) Tasty vittles
3) Do they brew their own?
4) Any sort of frequent flier club? (I'm thinking something like Old Chicago's World Beer Tour)
5) Price
6) Location
7) Anything else relevant
Barley Johns Brew Pub - New Brighton - Good Stuff
Old 11-22-2010, 06:01 PM  

Blaine, Minnesota
My favorite bar is The Muddy Pig. Huge selection of beer, amazing beer recommendations from the staff and the only bar I've ever been to that has served Absinthe.

I'm also a huge fun of Barley Johns because they have an amazing menu.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:26 PM  

Minneapolis, MN
For actual brewpubs I like Town Hall and Barley Johns the best. I prefer Town Hall over Barley Johns, but that's more because I like Town Hall's atmosphere better and their brew is more consistent. That's not to slam Barley Johns at all, which is equally good beer and sometimes you just want a hole in the wall place to curl up and drink a pint.

As far as actual selection goes I'm a big fan of the Happy Gnome in St. Paul, mostly because they have a lot of beers by the bottle that you can't even get anymore. If you're looking for something obscure they have it. But they also have a great selection of craft beer and always have good stuff.

I live in Uptown but haven't been to William's. I'll have to venture there. I live smack between the Bulldog and Lyndale Tap on Lyndale Ave, so I often find myself in one of those places. Both have a great selection.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:53 AM  

St. Paul, MN
I have a friend who works at Williams. I've been there a few times, and their selection is pretty good, but as someone who lives in Maplewood, Uptown is kind of a drive (especially as the weather starts to take a turn for the worst).

I've never been to Barley John's, but I've heard good things. I should probably check it out soon.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 AM  

Minneapolis, MN
Town Hall, hands down. And the new Town Hall Tap! They've got a great selection of their own + guest beers. Really great stuff.

A friend recommended Barley John's to me this weekend, I haven't checked it out.

And for the other end of the spectrum, I have found The Herkimer to be a grave disappointment. Some of their lighter beers are passable, like the Kolsch and Daily Pils...but their dark stuff is borderline undrinkable.

I only go there because they turn into a Packer bar on football Sundays.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:24 AM  

Richfield, MN
Busters on 28th

Busters On 28th

over 100 different craft beers to choose from, and the list constantly changes.

Good food too
Old 11-23-2010, 11:10 AM  

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Bar

I have to give some love to The Happy Gnome. They're a few blocks east of the Muddy Pig on Selby and I think they have an even better selection of beers. Also, The Bulldog in Lowertown Saint Paul is a great place for beer. Wow, I'm gettin' thirsty just thinking about it.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 AM  

MN
MacKenzie, next to the Orpheum in Minneapolis. Always a great selection.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis / St Paul
Bookmark this Page!