Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis / St Paul
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 PM  

Anoka, Minnesota
Jerry Kill New Gopher Football Coach

So am I the only one who thinks that the Gophers just hired Goldie Gopher to coach the football team?

But in all seriousness I think it's a good hire. Now if the rest of the state can deal with ten years to build a national power. We should have a really good coach.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:11 PM  

South of The River, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Brotherbill View Post
So am I the only one who thinks that the Gophers just hired Goldie Gopher to coach the football team?

But in all seriousness I think it's a good hire. Now if the rest of the state can deal with ten years to build a national power. We should have a really good coach.
I feel a bit bad for the guy. Maturi completely blew it by talking out of his arse about getting a big time coach. Because he's not a big timer Coach Kill is getting a lot of flack that he doesn't deserve. He seems like a decent guy, has some good work ethic and it was nice to see some of the big high school coaches clicked with him, maybe he'll get some of that hometown talent to stick around. The best thing he's got going for him is that expectations aren't going to be too high, if he can deliver a .500 season next year he'll be loved.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:28 PM  

St Paul, MN
Am I the only alumni that wonders how many REALY good professors they could have hired for what they're going to pay this guy.........just sayin (this is supposed to be an institution of higher learning after all, not a farm league). I think he's getting more than the new chancellor that was just hired to make this one of the top schools. Seems out of whack to me.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:05 PM  

Anoka, Minnesota
Ok to debate the merits of paying a coach a lot of money over paying a professor. Lets say they spent all that money on new professors. Will that get the university of minnesota more students? No it won't. Minnesota is already a leader in academics it is already known for academics. Now if you put together a winning football team that is on the map nationally. Then you get more students to attend the school because it is the in thing to do. Therefore you get more money to spend on professors.

You can argue that all day long. The university makes money off of the athletic department. And the money that is made off of a bowl game is amazing. So if you pay a coach to do that there is nothing wrong in that.

Because when it is all said and done the University of Minnesota is in business to make money. It isn't in business to teach kids. If it was in business to do that they wouldn't charge an arm and a leg to allow the kids to go to the school. Don't say that the have to charge that much because of the salaries of the professors. If the university was there to teach kids it would be free like public school.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 AM  

South of The River, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Brotherbill View Post

Because when it is all said and done the University of Minnesota is in business to make money. It isn't in business to teach kids. If it was in business to do that they wouldn't charge an arm and a leg to allow the kids to go to the school. Don't say that the have to charge that much because of the salaries of the professors. If the university was there to teach kids it would be free like public school.
I was with you up to this point. A big football program makes money for a school, money that helps to pay for other athletic programs that don't bring in the bucks, so I think that paying for a good coach is worth it. I was a bit surprised to find out how much guaranteed money that Coach Kill is getting considering that he hasn't coached a big program (if the gophers still qualify for that title) but I'll go along with it.

That being said, the University of Minnesota isn't a business it's a university, the University of Phoenix is a business. The primary focus should be on providing the best learning experience and the best research facilities that it can. The athletic programs do provide some real value for the community and for the university but should be ancillary. I think the U of M focuses too heavily on research and not enough on learning (part of the reason that costs have gotten so high in my opinion) but that's a topic for another thread.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 PM  

Minnesota
I am with the OP on this... I thought the same thing. Must be a budget cutting tactic, coach and mascot in one!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:40 AM  

Bloomington, MN
I'm not one to make fun, but his teeth looked like a fake set from a joke shop. Kind of embarrassing as the head of our team and a public figure. He seems to have a no-BS no-excuses attitude which is typically good in a coach.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:59 AM  

I think he's a breath of fresh air...not alot of HOT air like the last two!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis / St Paul
Bookmark this Page!