Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2011, 11:20 AM  

Providence, RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
Then you have this......... Attention Ice Cream Lovers: The evil entity wielding the grocery shrink ray has pointed its malevolent device at Ice Cream. The standard jug of ice cream is now 1.5 quarts, down from an already-shrunken 1.75. The price, naturally, is exactly the same.

Will the grocery shrink ray ever stop? Or will our generation tell our wide-eyed grandchildren stories of the halcyon days of half gallon ice cream containers? Will they even believe us?
A "quart" of mayonaise is now 30 ounces.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:59 PM  

West Plains, Missouri
As long as the topic is tiny portions, I'll bring up Taco Bell. My last trip to Taco Bell had been to the one in Mt. View, MO about 5-1/2 years ago. It had been at least that long before that since I'd been in one and I only remembered that I was not pleased with my last experience. So a few weeks ago I went to the one in West Plains and was reminded of why it had been so long since I'd last visited. The filling in my soft shell beef tacos was a bead about the diameter of a #2 pencil with maybe 3/8" of shredded lettuce on top of it. No cheese, no tomato. I ended up rolling it into a burrito a bit smaller than a frozen taquito. The large softshell beef taco had the same amount of meat filling as the softshell but a bit more lettuce. The filling in the "deluxe" beef burrito was about 1/16" deep by 1" wide with the soft tortilla shell folded about five times over it to make it look rounder. It will probably be at least another five years before I bother to visit a Taco Bell again.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:19 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
We won't go to the one in Nevada Mo. anymore. Orders were always wrong. The last time my wife took a wrong order back, the manager got hateful with her. She reported him, but couldn't even get an apology.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:10 PM  

Nashville, TN
I use to eat lunch out a lot, subway use to be one of my favorites. I've become so dissatisfied with "fast food"' that now, I usually take what ever I would spend in a week on "fast food" and try foods that's I wouldn't have thought about before. I've found really good Korean, Indian, Thai, even sushi restaurants that are family owned and have awesome food. So, once every week or so, I'll splurge and try something different from the "fast food" crap that's out there. Next on my list is Vietnamese and maybe even Ethiopian. ( I have a doctor customer who has been hyping it recently).
Old 07-26-2014, 06:10 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
When we eat out, we generally go to an old truck stop that has been open for about 50 years. A fresh made cheeseburger with all the trimmings and your choice of about a dozen sides is $3.99. A full breakfast, eggs, meat, hash browns and toast is $5.09. Daily specials are $5.50. You won't leave hungry.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:34 PM  

Damn Rusty..

In my neck of the woods, even a bacon and egg breakfast will run ~$8.00. Also, I've noticed most restaurants charge about $2.95 for their drinks, whether it be ice tea, soda, or coffee. Maybe it's time to resort back to the water and lemon, which is still free.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:18 AM  

West Plains, Missouri
The daily drive-thru specials at Chen's Chinese restaurant here are $3.69 and provide more than adequate portion sizes. At that price, one can get an entire meal for less than the price of a Big Mac so I've taken to going there quite often. If I want more than that, the buffet inside is only $5.69 or, at KIng China Garden, $7.79. King China Garden offers two steam tables full of stir-fry foods, plus another table of cold vegetable, plus excellent hot-and-sour and egg drop soups as well as sushi and a desert table with watermelon, tapioca pudding, chocolate pudding, and honeydew melon, and includes all the hot tea you can drink, all for slightly less than the cost of two filet of fish sandwiches from Micky D's. I find it really hard to bring myself to go to a "fast food" joint anymore; the prices equal or exceed that of sit down restaurants with table service and the quality of the "fast" food has steadily declined.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
The coffee at the truck stop is 95 cents, soft drinks are $1.19, with all the free refills you want. You can even get a free one to go, when you are done. Most of the customers are farmers and truckers.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.