Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2010, 07:07 PM  

Edgar Springs, Missouri
There is also the orp in farmington mo. a little closer to the cape http://www.wa****aoffroadtrails.com/index.html There is flat nasty orp in jadwin mo.Welcome to Flatnasty

Old 10-15-2010, 09:12 PM  

Springfield, Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
thanks Redrock! That's a super helpful website man. Exactly what I was looking for!

You go up there? I'm sure there's a lot of groups - I'd love to get into that when I get over there!
I've been there once when my ZJ was stock. Now that it's lifted I'm planning to go back soon with some friends. I would like to start going out at least once a month, but school and work might play against that.

With my Jeep also being my DD, I gotta take it easy too. I don't really have money to be repairing stuff all the time.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:44 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Psh, just get a cheap Honda so you can really push that ZJ!

Well, we're about 90% sure we'll be coming to that area. We'll probably start looking at some properties this upcoming summer. We've got til 2013 to find that right house with plenty of land. I'm looking to get at least 7-8 acres and some 4 wheelers - maybe I'll have a City Profile weekend!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 10-18-2010, 02:44 PM  

Springfield, Missouri
Quote:
Psh, just get a cheap Honda so you can really push that ZJ!

Well, we're about 90% sure we'll be coming to that area. We'll probably start looking at some properties this upcoming summer. We've got til 2013 to find that right house with plenty of land. I'm looking to get at least 7-8 acres and some 4 wheelers - maybe I'll have a City Profile weekend!
That would be sweet.

I like my ZJ too much to drive anything else, it will just have to suit me for both.

Glad to hear your most likely coming to Missouri
Old 10-20-2010, 10:00 PM  

O'Fallon, Missouri
It's a beautiful state. I think we have it all as far as outdoors.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:48 AM  

Waynesville, Missouri
Give us a hollar when you get in the area, plenty of wheelers and current/former Military around.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:55 PM  

West Plains, Missouri
Quote:
Hey Missouri-ans!

My name's Jake, and I'm an active duty Marine stationed out here on Oahu with my wife and two kids.

I'm planning on getting out of the Corps in 2013, and we're seriously considering SE Missouri for our new home. My in-laws live in Jackson, MO in the Cape Girardeau area. So we're looking around at houses in Cape Girardeau, Jackson, Patton, etc.

Anybody on here from around that area?

I guess I'm just curious about what any guy thinks about... how's the hunting, wheeling, and how are the people?

I appreciate any feedback!
Hunting is excellent throughout the state. The Mark Twain National Forest and numerous state forests provide lots of public land with great turkey and deer opportunities. Small game like squirrels and rabbits can be hunted most of the year and IIRC coyote can be hunted eleven out of twelve months of the year. Missouri is very firearms friendly with a "shall issue" CCW that is recognized in 39 other states.

I live in south central Missouri near the Arkansas line, in a town in the midst of the Mark Twain National Forest. Within an hour's drive there are at least five wonderful canoeing rivers to float with difficulty levels ranging from class one to (sometimes) class IV. The Missouri Conservation Department maintains public shooting ranges throughout the state ranging from free and unmanned to manned with nominal user fees.

If you like music, Branson has been mentioned. But Thayer, MO and its neighbor Mammoth Spring, AR claim to be the inspiration for the Grand Ol' Opry. The amateurs at the local churches and blue grass jams are generally far better than anything you'll find commercially because the people grew up here with music a part of their heritage. Old Time Music Ozark Heritage Festival
Old 10-22-2010, 02:04 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost00tj View Post
Give us a hollar when you get in the area, plenty of wheelers and current/former Military around.
Cool. Will do. My wife will be going out there next summer to get settled in and find us a house before I actually get out of the military so we can make a smooth transition. I'm trying not to look too far into the future, but I'm pretty excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brolin1911a1 View Post
Hunting is excellent throughout the state. The Mark Twain National Forest and numerous state forests provide lots of public land with great turkey and deer opportunities. Small game like squirrels and rabbits can be hunted most of the year and IIRC coyote can be hunted eleven out of twelve months of the year. Missouri is very firearms friendly with a "shall issue" CCW that is recognized in 39 other states.

I live in south central Missouri near the Arkansas line, in a town in the midst of the Mark Twain National Forest. Within an hour's drive there are at least five wonderful canoeing rivers to float with difficulty levels ranging from class one to (sometimes) class IV. The Missouri Conservation Department maintains public shooting ranges throughout the state ranging from free and unmanned to manned with nominal user fees.

If you like music, Branson has been mentioned. But Thayer, MO and its neighbor Mammoth Spring, AR claim to be the inspiration for the Grand Ol' Opry. The amateurs at the local churches and blue grass jams are generally far better than anything you'll find commercially because the people grew up here with music a part of their heritage. Old Time Music Ozark Heritage Festival

Thanks for all the info! My wife, kids and I are definitely do'ers, so I'll make note of that and be sure to get out there.

Hunting's definitely going to be a big part of wherever I go, so I'm glad that Missouri's going to be able to accommodate me there. Also, I'm pretty big on being able to carry a weapon. If they can send me to Afghanistan and shove an M16A4 and a slew of other weapons in my hands and tell me to defend my country, then I only think it fair to let me carry a small firearm on me for the protection of my family back home...

Hah, off subject, but something I feel very strongly about!

Old 10-22-2010, 06:58 AM  

West Plains, Missouri
Quote:
Cool. Will do. My wife will be going out there next summer to get settled in and find us a house before I actually get out of the military so we can make a smooth transition. I'm trying not to look too far into the future, but I'm pretty excited!
Check out Mellow Out Your Monitor: Free backgrounds and screensavers brought to you courtesy of OzarkLand.com for some great photos of what the area of southern Missouri between Branson (to the West) and Doniphan (to the East) has to offer in the way of scenery. The website is hosted by a local (Willow Springs, MO) realty company but that page offers only wallpaper-sized scenery photos of the area. They have scenes of farms, lakes, rivers, springs, and forests to view and/or download to your computer as wallpaper.

Quote:
Hunting's definitely going to be a big part of wherever I go, so I'm glad that Missouri's going to be able to accommodate me there. Also, I'm pretty big on being able to carry a weapon. If they can send me to Afghanistan and shove an M16A4 and a slew of other weapons in my hands and tell me to defend my country, then I only think it fair to let me carry a small firearm on me for the protection of my family back home...

Hah, off subject, but something I feel very strongly about!
And an important subject it is. I can't imagine ever again living in a region where the government doesn't trust its citizenry with the fundamental right of self defense.

First, and most important, Missouri has no registration or permit requirements for firearms ownership. With the exception of machine guns and suppressors, the only restrictions are those of federal law. For the latter two items you must be a collector, a requirement satisfied by getting a federal Curio and Relic FFL.

Missouri's CCW law is one of the best in the nation. Requirements are that the applicant be a resident at least 23 years of age (efforts are underway to get that lowered,) take an 8-hour class on firearms safety and use of deadly force, and pass a fingerprint background check. Fees for the classes average about $100 - $125 depending upon the instructor and what part of the state--the urban area classes are generally more expensive. There is no expiration on the training so once you've taken the course you're good.

The CCW fee itself depends upon the local sheriff with a few charging as little as $35 (the charge from the Highway Patrol to do the background check) to $100 (the maximum allowed by law) for the initial application with renewals likewise ranging from free to the maximum of $50 depending upon the county where you live. If there is no negative response to the background check the sheriff must issue the permit within 45 days of the date of application.

Finally, Missouri also recognizes a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state. That means if you've got a valid permit from, say, Florida or Pennsylvania or Utah or Maine or any other state it is recognized by Missouri. This can be handy if you're currently a resident of a state such as Illinois, Wisconsin, California, or Hawaii where getting a CCW is impossible for normal citizens; a non-resident permit from one of those states I mentioned will suffice as you visit and tour Missouri.

You can find more info on the state's firearms laws at: RSMO-Chapter 571 and a great active and very friendly online Missouri firearms community at Missouri Concealed Carry Gun Permit and Firearms Information Website
Old 10-22-2010, 01:45 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks again for all the information.

I'll definitely get the ball rolling as soon as I get there. Like you said, right now I'm used to the crazy gun regulations of Hawaii. I came here from being in Texas for half a year or so, so it was definitely a huge change.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads