Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2010, 11:25 PM  

Little Canada, Minnesota
I hear that under Yellowstone/Montana. . .

Is a ginormous hot spot that could potentially blow (no accurate way to measure that kind of force/pressure) with the force of a gazillion nuclear bombs and devastate all life on earth.

So. . .what are ya'll planning to do about that?

Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuflames View Post
Is a ginormous hot spot that could potentially blow (no accurate way to measure that kind of force/pressure) with the force of a gazillion nuclear bombs and devastate all life on earth.

So. . .what are ya'll planning to do about that?
And the sun may not light up tomorrow, so what's your point?

Old 11-02-2010, 01:19 AM  

Anoka, Minnesota
I'm actually planning for it. I would look for the challenge of living in a holocaust world. As long as the first eruption doesn't kill me I'm down with Yellowstone blowing it's top. I'm also down with a super plague that kills three out of four people as well. Just as long as one of the three isn't me.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 AM  
ntg

Bingham County, Idaho
Ah...the chances are slim. Life is a risk. I don't fixate on the risks. I try to minimize them or at least plan for them, but I don't let them control my life. The chances are greater of getting hit by a tornado in "tornado alley" USA, but many folks still live there and have lived great lives. Make the most of each day!
Old 11-02-2010, 01:41 PM  

DILLON, MT
Those of us living in the greater yellowstone caldera contribute a great deal to the state's economy in that alcoholism almost equals that of the state of alaska; and the alocohol tax supprts much of state government. The caldera is rising three times faster now than it has since the taking of measurements started which means that it is going to most likely blow sooner rather than later. Heavy drinking helps us disremember this unpleasant fact of life.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:36 PM  

Anoka, Minnesota
I think you need to stop drinking just a little bit. I think Dillon is outside the caldera range. Though you are close so it should be a good show.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:12 PM  

Eureka, Montana
How does that serenity prayer thing go?

Accept the things you can't change.
Change the things you can.
Have the wisdom to know the difference.

Well, at least if Yellowstone blows I'm probably upwind from it.
Sorry, Minnesota!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:54 AM  
Not a Junior Member

Helena, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Brotherbill View Post
I think you need to stop drinking just a little bit. I think Dillon is outside the caldera range. Though you are close so it should be a good show.
I don't know about the drinking, , , but if this thing is as big as they say, , Dillon is gone, like poof, Ok, I'll have that drink now.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:01 AM  

DILLON, MT
Dillon sits right smack on top of the caldera; in point of fact the ground temperature here is closely akin to top dead center of the caldera. Due to the higher ground temp I have seen people golfing on new years day in shirt sleeves at the local golf course.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:43 PM  

Anoka, Minnesota
I see people golfing in shorts on new years day in Minnesota as well. Though I don't think it's due to a caldera hot spot. It might have something to do with the fact that they just drank a case of beer.

Everything that I have seen or read about the super volcano says the caldera is inside the park boundaries. I am not saying it isn't hot on the ground in Dillion but it isn't associated with the Yellowstone Super Volcano.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads