Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2010, 01:55 PM  

Missoula, Montana
Montana Hot Springs off the beaten path

Anyone know of any hot springs off the beaten path...maybe a long hike to get to or something. I love going to them but I'm tired of tons of people at Jerry Johnson and I don't really like hot swimming pools.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:51 PM  

Eureka, Montana
Have you been to the hot spring pools at the town of Hot Springs, near Plains? Or is that "Jerry Johnson"s? I haven't heard of Jerry Johnsons. But I've been to Hot springs, and there's never been very many people there when I was. Either that, or I'm so uncool I pick days no one else would!

Old 11-28-2010, 12:20 AM  

Bozeman, Montana
Years ago when I worked as lifty at Bridger, we would go to a hot spring out east of Ringling. The land owner would dam it up in the winter and open it for irrigation in the spring. It was a great place, and from what we were told, it was OK with the land owner. Went several times and met some people there, but never a problem. Over the years, I've talked to others that have been there as well. I wouldn't know what the deal but can't imagine anything has changed. Directions: on Google earth, just East of the intersection of Highway 89 and 294. There is a little loop on the north side of the road. Park at the fence and walk over.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:21 PM  

Bozeman, MT
Two great places come to mind in the Bozeman area. Norris Hot Springs is great! Drink beer and wine while you soak to some live (generally bluegrass) music being played on a covered (and heated) stage right next to the pool. It's hard to beat!

But for off-the-beaten path springs, I'd say Potosi Hot Springs is very unique and very cool. It is near Pony, MT. Basically drive to Pony and just before you enter town, you will see a turn-off to the campground/hot springs. Take a left, follow the road to the campgrounds, once you get to them, turn left, ford the river and park just on the otherside. Go through the fence and follow the trail for approx. half mile to a mile and the small natural pool will be on the left.

My girlfriend and I managed to find the hot springs in the dark, though I don't recommend it. Probably the only reason we found it is because we heard people who were soaking. The coolest thing about the springs, and this was in dead of winter, was there were firefly's! I've never seen firefly's, let alone in Montana. But apparently, the springs provide the perfect habitat for them to survive/live.

Oh, and there is the boiling river in Yellowstone. You must go there at some point in your life, very cool!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:40 PM  
Not a Junior Member

Helena, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjimi View Post
Two great places come to mind in the Bozeman area. Norris Hot Springs is great! Drink beer and wine while you soak to some live (generally bluegrass) music being played on a covered (and heated) stage right next to the pool. It's hard to beat!

But for off-the-beaten path springs, I'd say Potosi Hot Springs is very unique and very cool. It is near Pony, MT. Basically drive to Pony and just before you enter town, you will see a turn-off to the campground/hot springs. Take a left, follow the road to the campgrounds, once you get to them, turn left, ford the river and park just on the otherside. Go through the fence and follow the trail for approx. half mile to a mile and the small natural pool will be on the left.

My girlfriend and I managed to find the hot springs in the dark, though I don't recommend it. Probably the only reason we found it is because we heard people who were soaking. The coolest thing about the springs, and this was in dead of winter, was there were firefly's! I've never seen firefly's, let alone in Montana. But apparently, the springs provide the perfect habitat for them to survive/live.

Oh, and there is the boiling river in Yellowstone. You must go there at some point in your life, very cool!
Ya that Potosi was, maybe still is great. It even comes with some history. When we first visited in the mid/early 60's there was this hand made rock pool with a covered patio area. Then the damn hippies took it over even though is was privately owned but the owner allowed any and all visitors. Any way the owner got mad 'cause all the drugs and "love in" parties, took some dynamite and blew it to smithereens, then got sued for doing so. Long story but I think the state ended up with it, and after dealing with the tree huggers re-opened it? Don't know for sure what's left there 2day?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.