Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2010, 10:59 AM  

Billings
Stuck in Billings Montana

I just moved here and I have no friends, after two weeks I'm going nuts. Is there anywhere to go to just meet people? I try to stay away from bars, but I'm at the point it doesn't matter.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:31 AM  

Cody Wy, wyoming
How about church?

Old 09-30-2010, 04:19 PM  

Raleigh, North Carolina
This is hard... You Moved to Montana, and
you don't like bars? It's kind of like moving
to Alaska, and not liking snow. Learn to like
bars, and you'll meet a lot of nice people.
If it's anything like it was back in the 80's,
the people there were really cool!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:50 AM  

billings, montana
it just really depends on what kind of things your into. shoot some ideas on stuff your into and lets see what we can find you to do
Old 10-15-2010, 04:04 PM  

Hamilton, MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99 View Post
This is hard... You Moved to Montana, and
you don't like bars?...
Haven't been out much myself, but what he says is true. Bars are totally different here than other places.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:16 AM  

Eureka, Montana
There's a lot of ways to have fun and meet people besides going to bars, although that can be fun too.

If you're not into bars, go out and do whatever activity it is that you like to do. If you're not into sports (bicycling, skiing, whatever), then just walk. Start walking in parks and start up conversations. Go to "events", like farmer's markets and start talking to people, or anything going on in a park. Get there early and talk to people.

Be the one to make the first move. Start talking to people. Use something light and if they respond, keep the conversation going. If they respond in a way that indicates they aren't interested in conversation, smile and move on to someone else. It might take a while before you get past the small talk to having real conversations, but when you do, you might make a friend!

There's always people in your workplace, if you have one. The laundrymatt if you go there. Look for places people go who are in your age group or into the things you are. For instance, if you're a young person who likes computers or video games, look for places where similar people hang out.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:48 PM  

Edgewater, FL
I lived in Helena. I loved it there. I went to Billings a couple of times, but don't remember much about it. Anytime you go somewhere new, there is the "no new friends" situation. My best advice is to just do what you enjoy doing. You will meet others with like interests. Hermit is right. Absolutely right. Heck, I started typing this before I read what he wrote. Same same.

Montana folk are an independent lot. I love that about Montana and am sorry I ever left, but I wanted to be closer to my kids. you are fairly close to Yellowstone, so go. There are lots of National Parks to go to, so enjoy it all.

But don't mope around and say you don't have friends. You are in a Northern Paradise.....heck, just think of all the deer and antelope you had to dodge just to get there. Go see the hole in the ground in Butte. There's a couple of mines to visit as well.

But believe me. You do the things you like to do, you will meet others. Go to the microbreweries (if they still exist). Nice people there. Farmers Markets....so on. Montanans are a creative people, go to the art community and see what is going on. Some of it is way "woo woo", but is alot of fun to see the diversity.

If I still lived there, you'd have a friend already to visit.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:03 PM  

DILLON, MT
There are lots of bars in billings; and when winter sets in you have better have a couple of your favorite ones picked out. Ones that have snow plows working the neighborhood on an hourly basis would be nice.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 AM  
Vykyng!!! Nordic Warriors

Peoria, Arizona
my brother lives there. he drinks A LOT and loves to hang out at the bars. i went with him to the bars for the week i was there to visit. not really any good bands there though.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:23 AM  

Hamilton, MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by udo4accept View Post
...not really any good bands there though.
It's about the same in Western Montana.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.