Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2010, 02:31 PM  

Eureka, Montana
Where are all the critters in Montana?

First the fishing started getting poor in the nearby lake in the last couple years. Then the deer and elk numbers dropped off. Now we're trapping muskrats, like every November, and only getting about half the normal number.

I like to blame the wolves for some of the wildlife decimation, but the fish and muskrats? I don't think so.

A bad time, too, for it to happen. Really need the fish and venison to survive, and the few dollars from muskrat trapping helped too. Dunno what'll become of us!

Old 11-14-2010, 09:07 AM  

Dillon, MT
I dont know for sure but it seems like FWP is trying to kill off everything on public land around here. Most big deer and elk numbers are on private and controlled by autos. Maybe the herons and pelicans are eating more than their share of fish.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:01 PM  

Billings, Montana
What are you trapping muskrats for? Pelts?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:28 PM  

Eureka, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacElroy View Post
What are you trapping muskrats for? Pelts?
Yeah, the furs/pelts/skins are worth, on average, about $3 to $6 apiece. Some more, some less.

If you get in a good place, you can get quite a few of them.

Timberghost: There have been more herons around the last couple years. Maybe something to that. Also, our lake used to be pretty much just perch, then someone dumped some pike in there. I think the pike might be eating the perch. Guess we'll have to change how we fish, and go after the pike.

A shame, though. I like Perch better.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:39 PM  

Billings, Montana
Yeah, I have noticed the deer numbers are way down too. Hard to fill the tags this year.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:16 PM  

Eureka, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btowner View Post
Yeah, I have noticed the deer numbers are way down too. Hard to fill the tags this year.
Wow, the deer numbers are down over in your part of the state too?

Guess we can't blame the wolves. What predators do you have around there besides coyotes? Big cats? (Cars on the highway... just kidding! )
Old 11-21-2010, 06:52 PM  

Dillon, MT
coyotes are hard on the babies in spring for sure and there is no shortage of them.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:46 PM  

eureka, montana
We've been having a lot of predator problems. The wolves have pushed the coyotes, deer and elk down low and the mountain lions have come with the deer. Our neighbor had a mtn. lion drag a road killed deer carcass out of the back of thier pickup while it was parked next to the house.

I'm finding more deer tracks now with the snow but they are very skittish and they stay in the thick timber. Their habits have changed the last couple of years.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:01 PM  

Dillon, MT
The deer and elk have changed alot in bvhd county. they have changed their migration patterns to private land and they stay for the most part until spring
Old 12-22-2010, 08:28 AM  

Libby, Montana
Yeah the Kootenai river down by Libby is hosed as well as the lake. And I don't even want to talk about the big game hunting in the area. It was so bad last year during hunting season that I didn't even buy tags this season. I did go out to get firewood and I'm glad I did not waste my money on tags because I saw very little game. FWP needs to listen to the locals!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Bookmark this Page!