Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 AM  

Cut Bank, MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I'm lost? What can you do with a gopher worth freezing for?
I shoot several thousand rounds of rimfire and a couple hundred rounds centerfire a year. Meaningful recreation for a retired person....

Back in the olden days when I was growing up in the hills of Southern Oregon, I would spend my summers shooting Grey digger squirrels. Now that my native Oregon is the northern most county in California that is no longer possible...but can find my lost childhood in Montana.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:13 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Back in the olden days when I was growing up in the hills of Southern Oregon, I would spend my summers shooting Grey digger squirrels. Now that my native Oregon is the northern most county in California that is no longer possible...but can find my lost childhood in Montana.
Makes good sense. Grew up in the country of MN and always had a .22 in my hand. When I left PA for OR I expected to return to a rifle not bothering anyone.

Man, did this place ever get "civilized" fast. The nearest place I've found to target shoot is 90 minutes away.

I won't kill anymore, did too much of that in the past but I love shooting the branch out from under a crow.

I'll bet the suburban lawns of the Twin Cities and local golf courses would pay a bounty for your expertise.

Where are all the critters in Montana?-gopher-1299.jpg 

Where are all the critters in Montana?-gopher_arsenel.jpg 

Where are all the critters in Montana?-img_0007.jpg 

Where are all the critters in Montana?-gopher5.jpg 

Where are all the critters in Montana?-gopherdance.jpg 

Old 05-07-2011, 07:19 AM  

Cut Bank, MT
Gophers---Richardson Ground Squirrels are in the same category as rats an mice.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:09 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Richardson Ground Squirrels are in the same category as rats an mice
yummy?

I confess I have little understanding of hunting West of the Mississippi. In NDAK I noticed cranes were hunted. why? Now Montana, a state with mule deer, white tails and elk attracts gopher hit men?

I should open a DISCOUNT AMMO store there.
Where are all the critters in Montana?-ammo-specials.jpg 

Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 AM  

Eureka, Montana
If you don't shoot the gophers/ground squirrels here, to at least keep their numbers down, before long they're all over the place. You about break a leg in their holes, and they decimate the garden.

It's a 'pleasant' late morning or early afternoon past time to sit on a stump and wait and watch, and eliminate the ones digging holes around our garden, inside and out of the fence.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Bookmark this Page!