Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2010, 10:45 AM  

Eureka, Montana
Who else hunts in Montana?

Hunting season opens Saturday. No "B" tags for deer up here in Lincoln county this year. Bummer. Guess we'll have to work harder to get an elk so we aren't vegetarians after we run out of venison! ha ha!

Old 10-24-2010, 09:07 PM  

Eureka, Montana
Good. No one else is hunting. So...other than the wolves reducing the game numbers, I guess I don't have any other competition! We should eat well this winter!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:37 PM  

DILLON, MT
Are we counting the ones that seem to jump in front of cars? Lots of hamburger in the southwestern corner of the state.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:58 PM  

DILLON, MT
Bird hunting is having its ups and downs this year.
Who else hunts in Montana?-stuckdog.jpg 

Old 11-04-2010, 11:00 AM  

Eureka, Montana
Cute picture!

The hunting is pretty slow up here in NW Montana. It's "bucks only" for deer in our region this year, and the bucks are few and far between.

It isn't just the wolves we're seeing more and more of. Lots of mountain lions around this year. Yesterday one dragged a deer out of a neighbor's truck and started eating it, about 150' from his house.

Found a dead fawn near our place, no sign of a bullet hole, but it had been chewed and torn pretty bad. Can't say how it died.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:36 PM  

Helena, Montana
i've not seen a single elk yet this season. getting pretty bummed out. any one know of any good spots near helena for elk?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:07 PM  

Eureka, Montana
I don't know about the Helena area but they sure seem to have moved out of OUR area. Not nearly as many deer, either.

Lots of coyotes and mountain lions this year. Probably wolves too, but we haven't seen them lately.

Good luck, Jeepjack.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:10 PM  

Bozeman, MT
I hunted the Helena area this season. My cousin and I both got an elk on Veterans Day. My uncle got an elk in the same area. My cousin ended up getting a second elk in the same area. So, we pulled 4 elk out of one area, all cows. This was the first year they'd allow the harvest of two elk in a season. We all had special B tags for cow elk in our region. Then, the last week of hunting season, for that region, you could get a cow elk with an A tag which you could only get a spike prior. I tried for my second but no luck. Either way, it was a great season!
Old 03-13-2011, 06:31 PM  

We had a hand full of Whitetail doe tags this year in North Centeral and the wind was so bad we didn't fill one of them. You can't hunt Whitetail from the Sub and when it is that cold and windy you are just SOL.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:53 PM  

I have hunted in the Red Lodge (Luther) area (520) for the past 10 years and have only seen elk 1 x a few years back. Told by the ranchers/locals that the place used to be thick with elk. My hunting buddies and I are getting up in years (50's & 60's) and have to bag an elk before it is too late/we are too old. Anyone who can provide us with access to an area that at least has elk on it or who can point us to state/fed land or program land that has elk on it will be rewarded (I am an award winning brewer and I will bring loads of beer). Willing to travel a ways but would prefer not to go too far West of Bozeman if possible since we are near Billings (say a 100 mile radius from Billings). Helena would be OK too. PM me if interested.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Montana
Bookmark this Page!