Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Moving
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2010, 03:19 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Flying with dogs?

Hey so I'm just planning far out, but when I get out of the Corps, leave Hawaii, and come back to the states I'll need to fly with my two dogs.

Anyone ever done this before, and could shed some light on it for me? How it'll work, about how much I'm looking to spend, etc.

Thanks in advance!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 PM  

Utah
I may be biased as i work for Continental Airlines but i would recommend flying with us. Many airlines just put the kennels in the hold and call it a service. We actually have employees that are dedicated to look after the animals. We have won awards for our pet safe program and we carry a TON of dogs to the Westminster Dog show.

Here is some more info.... Continental Airlines - Traveling with Animals

Old 12-08-2010, 01:32 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks for the page! I'll definitely call them and get some more information.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:20 AM  

Westchester, NY
Wow, not how much more insight I can offer over someone working for the airline, but I have flown with our pup a few years ago. The first thing I would strongly suggest is to fly non-stop if possible. And if it wasn't possible to do non-stop I personally would make it into two separate trips. I do not trust anyone I do not know with my dogs, award winners or not.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:28 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Well yeah I'm really looking for someone who's done it before, for some first hand advice yknow?

I'm flying from Hawaii to the eastern US. If I do go striaght through it'll probably be about a 10-12 hour flight, so I'm probably going to try and grab a layover somewhere, for the dogs and for my kids' sake.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:55 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
get a sedative from your vet. thats what we have done...
Old 12-11-2010, 07:58 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
That's what I've heard, and I'm sure we'll do. Have you actually flown with your dogs, cache?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:20 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
not jed (current), but i have done it before.

my mom for many years was one of the most prominent lab breeders in the country. she sent her dogs all over the place by flying them.

you have to remember, a dog is a dog. they really dont care all that much. get a good sturdy kennel, put a blanket in there and give them some nice sleepy time medicine.

my advice is to avoid layovers and just get it done. granted i dont have kids so thats a whole bag i know nothing about, but if you are trying to avoid stressing your dog, i wouldnt go through the checking process more then once
Old 12-11-2010, 11:21 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Noted. You, being a dog owner, you gotta know that I want my dogs to be comfortable. I know they may not care, and maybe it's all in my head, who knows. They're like 2 more kids to me, yknow?

Does your ma still breed?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:58 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
neg, they moved and dont have the room for it any more. we never had a bunch of dogs (3 females and 1 male) at any given time, but she always insisted on them having 5 acres to roam on.

i totally understand where you are coming from as far as wanting whats best for your 'kids'. the most stressful part is them saying goodbye if ya know what i mean. with a layover, your doing it twice. this is, of course, assuming you are speaking of an overnight layover...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Moving
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.